Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the engine out of my 89 CSX and while it is out I plan to change out the front and rear main seals along with the oil pan (cam seal already replaced).

I verified it is a 5 bolts sprocket and wanted to know if this kit will work for pulling the crank sprocket off or do I need to get the 6793A puller?

Also, any tips to this task with the engine on a stand? I already swapped out the rear main seal in its housing, but need to get the old sealant off the housing so I can apply some anaerobic sealant to the housing and install if back onto the block.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
26,192 Posts
When I did my front crank seal, after many failed attempts by me to remove it, my Son removed the two arms and bolts from my OTC Pitman Arm Puller and used the body and forcing screw, which was perfect for the hole alignment and then we used bolts from the steering wheel puller and off it came.
I did not realize how much they are these days, had mine since the 80's.
Toy Lego Font Table Automotive tire

There is also this thread...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I did my front crank seal, after many failed attempts by me to remove it, my Son removed the two arms and bolts from my OTC Pitman Arm Puller and used the body and forcing screw, which was perfect for the hole alignment and then we used bolts from the steering wheel puller and off it came.
I did not realize how much they are these days, had mine since the 80's.
View attachment 281466

There is also this thread...
Thanks Jan. Amazing how searches are useless unless you use the exact verbiage. I searched crank sprocket removal and that "how to" post did not come up. Not sure I am going to go that route as I dont have the hardware he calls out.

In a nut shell, all we need is a pulling plate for at least three bolts to thread through the plate and into the sprocket. Then on long bolt that threads through the plate and smaller diameter than the crank sprocket bolt and it pushes against the crank itself. Or a puller like you used by taking off the arms and threading bolts though the puller bracket into the sprocket and the center bolt against the snout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts