Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm back, been a while. Anyway the turbo mechanic I had, supposedly moved out of the country. So my van has basically been sitting in garage. But I need to drive it now and the water pump is being changed. New mechanic, he said it was a real tough job. Just curious do you have to remove the timing belt to do this? I didn't think it would be that difficult a job. Just need opinions on replacing water pump, is it a complicated job?

·
Administrator
24,135 Posts
No, you do not need to remove the timing belt to replace the water pump.
The water pump is mounted to a separate housing which is removed to change the pump out of the vehicle.
There are 3 bolts holding the water pump housing to the engine block.
It is probably a +/- one hour job if all you are doing is replacing the pump.

1)Drain Cooling System (See Drain/Refill Cooling System)
2)Remove Belt
3)Remove Stationary Bracket (See Stationary Bracket)
4)Remove Lower Radiator Hose and Heater Hose From Water Pump Housing
5)Remove 3 Bolts From The Housing And Remove The Housing From The Engine Block
6)Remove Pulley From Water Pump
7)Remove Water Pump From The Housing.
8)Reverse Procedure To Install

Remove/Install 2.2L/2.5L Water Pump
COOLING-Water Pump 2.2L-2.5L 1.jpg

COOLING-Water Pump 2.2L-2.5L 2.jpg

Proper Drain/Refill Of The Cooling System
Cooling System Drain and Refill 1.jpg

Cooling System Drain and Refill 2.jpg

Proper Remove/Install Of The Stationary Bracket
ENGINE-2.2L-2.5L Stationary Bracket.jpg

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
... New mechanic, he said it was a real tough job. Just curious do you have to remove the timing belt to do this?...
This new mechanic is priming the pump for a big invoice. Everybody has to eat, but find a different mechanic that has an ounce of honesty. Like NAJ states, timing belt removal doesn't come into play at all. 1-2 hours tops for labor, start to finish. This mechanic calls this a tough job, RUN away fast, they're no mechanic.

·
Legendary Driver
10,890 Posts
The worst part about changing the water pump is getting coolant everywhere. The best part? Using a pre-89 pump, porting it and shaving every other fin off then putting it on your motor with the right belt to run it the correct way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's hard to find a reasonable good turbo mechanic. I got this guy from a friend and he's a retired CTA mechanic, so I figured he knew his stuff. He didn't charge me anymore than originally quoted. But... when I picked up the car, everything was alright for about 45 mins. then the alternator belt broke, car started overheating. I let it cool and added more antifreeze, which believe it or not, I was so pissed I didn't pay attention and started to put oil in radiator, (same color gallon jug). OH NO... caught it right away maybe got 1/2 cup in there. Took car about 1/2 mile back to mechanic and told him to fix it right.. My radiator and fan have maybe 50 miles on them. The belt wasn't that old, but maybe from sitting it got a little dry rotted? Obviously something wasn't right, maybe belt wasn't tightened properly or maybe overtightened. Dunno!
Does anybody know a good turbo dodge guy in Chicago that I could use as a mechanic?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I used van all weekend. It started to overheat on both Sat and Sun. Replaced radiator cap Saturday and then Sunday hose started spraying all over. It had a leak by clamp. So, I replaced it. I think everythings ok now. BUT, another problem appeared Sunday. As I hit a roadway with higher speeds, van wouldn't accelerate properly. Tried giving it more gas again and heard and felt a jerk, almost like a trans slip. But not the trans. It's shifting ok. Now I had acceleration before this. So what happened all of a sudden? When you take off it can accelerate to 20-25mph. Then you have to gradually wait for it to gain speed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was installed as I said previously. I think everything's ok now. I changed rad cap and hose that sprung a leak. So far, so good, but I haven't gone to far. This weekend will be the test. Wish me luck, lol. Plus I have turbo guy coming out Sat. So we'll be double checking everything. Thanks for asking 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts