Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I know this has come up quite a bit in the past, but I'm hoping for some current information on it.

I'm having my 89' CB TII rebuilt and my mechanic can't get the crank sprocket off of the shaft.

Is the official puller still available anywhere? If so, I'd rather just go that route and pick one up.

If not, please send some help my way as we can't move forward with the rebuild until we get this thing off.

Thanks in advance, let me know if there's any other information you guys need and I'll try to get it for you.

Kind Regards,
-Zach

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I might have a spare crank pulley somewhere to rig up a system like what's in the sticky post about this. However, I was hoping to locate the official puller for this job and future use.

Does anybody know where you can buy the puller for these things?

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts

·
Administrator
24,681 Posts
Just an FYI...
We used the body of my OTC Pitman Arm Puller which aligned perfectly with the threaded holes in the sprocket.
If your mechanic has one...
Remove the arms and find two bolts to thread it in and you are all set.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply, life kinda got away from me.

Update: I was able to pull the crank sprocket off using a spare crank pulley I had laying around. It fought me the whole way, but the deed is done.

However..my mechanic notified me of a new issue I need some help with.

When he was doing the tear-down of the engine, he suggested getting a crank kit. I explained that the '89 TII forged crank is extremely rare and I would be surprised if he found the correct one, but he assured me he located one with the same casting number, forged, the whole works.

He proceeded to balance the crank, did a beautiful job of it and got it to within 3/10 of a gram, started assembling the engine, and then realized that the new crank is NOT a total match to my stock.

The snout of the crank and the seal surface are not the same size. Here are our measurements.

New crank:

Snout: 0.902"
Seal surface: 1.375"

Here's what I measured on my original crank:

Snout: 1.0035" (25.54mm)
Seal surface: 1.1255" (28.51mm)

Can anyone identify what crank he may have just installed into my engine based on this? And please, is there a way to make it work for my '89 TII CB engine?

I'd like to make it work if it's possible, as the crank is already balanced and installed into the block. However, if it simply won't do, I'm going to have a very awkward conversation with my mechanic as I did warn him about my crank, and will NOT be paying him for parts or labor on that.

As always, I appreciate the community and knowledge you kind folks constantly share. Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks,
-Zach

1 - 6 of 6 Posts