Turbo Dodge Forums banner

89 daytona install pw and pl

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Dr. Johny Dodge 
#1 ·
I am interested in installing both pw and pl in 89 daytona tbi. i want to know what parts i need, and where i can get them or what vehicles i can get them from.

#3 ·
Sorry nobody has given a response sooner!

Following are cars and years that likely share the power window and power lock hardware with your 1989 Daytona Base if you are junkyard hunting..

All the hardware/switches/plugs will fit from these cars:

1987 to 1989 Dodge Daytona

1987 to 1989 Chrysler LeBaron

1984 to 1986 Dodge Daytona / Chrysler Laser

Maybe:

1990 to 1994 Dodge Daytona (not sure if they changed the motor/regulator/track/lock mechanism in the updated interiors, but the switches and handles won't fit into your doors.

1990 -up Chrysler LeBaron (same as above, with the updated interior)

What do you need? Not sure if non PL/PW cars have existing wiring somewhere under the dash, it there is it might be plug and play with a bit of work.

Power lock switches in both door panels, power lock mechanism and rod (mounted near the catch), both lock cylinders (or just grab the entire handle(s), entire door harness, window regulator/motor, window track assembly, center console switches and bezel (remember these cars have the window switches in the center console, not the doors), entire center console harness.

Best bet would be to take off two complete doors and center console from a donor and take them home

#5 ·
No clue first hand...

However if you look up 89 Dodge Daytona on rockauto it shows A-1 Cardone part# 4248 and 4247 for left and right motors. Look up 89 Dodge Caravan and shows the exact same part numbers. So I would say yes, they both use the same motors. I would say most if not all FWD Mopars use the same motors in the front doors.

Do they use the same track assemblies? Probably not, the minivan door is taller than the daytona doors by observation.

#6 ·
power windows MIGHT be easy - IF your car already has the plugs for the switches and lifts

open the console lid , remove the 2 screws for the switch plate and lift it out of the console - check for a flat pad with a bunch of holes in it - this is the conector for the switches

some cars will already have the plugs some won't
if you find the connector for the switches in the console you can bet they are in the doors for the motors too

you will need only the switches - best to grab a couple of sets , the motors /tracks and the circut breaker for in the fusebox - it looks like a small silver metal box - plugs in same way as a fuse

you must use the circut breakers for the windows and locks if you put them in as this is what turns off the power when either the window or lock reaches full travel - a fuse would just blow leaveing the window or lock inoperative

window tracks are rivited into the doors so you will need a good drill bit and some nuts & bolts to install the motors / tracks

I would sugest not trying to use lifts from somthing else
the motor part numbers are prob the same across the board as most use the same motor but the track it's attached to can be different

power locks

99.99% chance your car won't have the wireing for these already
if you don't like the idea of ripping out your dash to swap the door wireing harness , then your never gonna have power locks - not unless you want to invent your own wireing for the locks

15-20 years ago the power lock wireing was hard to find - now I might not wanna even bother trying
there were 5 or 6 different harness for the doors , some had everything includeing lighted entry but no power locks

if your looking at parts cars , if it dosent have power locks you can bet the wireing ain't in the doors for them

you'll need to know there is only 1 door wireing harness in these cars - it serves both doors

this harness runs through the driver's door into the jam , plugs into the dash wireing at the bottom corner , then runs across the car just below the windshield , under the edge of the dash , to the pass side where it once again plugs into the dash wireing at the bottom corner then out through the jam and into the pass door

#7 ·
^ Yeah didn't think the power lock wiring would be in place but not sure. This is defiently a project, not a Saturday afternoon job. Like I said probably best to find a $100 rotten daytona/lebaron with PW/PL or spend an afternoon at a junkyard and take both doors and the dash.

#8 ·
mmm , avoid the lebarons when hunting interior wireing -the wireing will be diff than a daytona

I have an 88 lebaron harness in the blue 86 below - the mirrors won't work because there is a diff in the wireing I never traced

windows and doors are diff in a lebaron , I would not count on the window lifts being the same as a daytona

same for the locks - there is a rod that clips to the power solinoid - they change this rod to make the locks fit into diff cars

between lebarons and daytonas there are many differenced that you will not notice untill you try to swap parts from one to the other - like the outer door handles
they look the same but a lebaron one will never fit a daytona door because the mechinism is different and that prevents the door handle from fitting flat on the daytona door skin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.