Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to use the cupholder and a brown maple syrup like glue was on the cupholder. I removed it and the radio and the air conditioner controller and each had this maple syrup like liquid on it. It was also on the back black plastic behind the cupholder, radio and air conditioner controller. I was able to clean it up. The top part of the dash where the trip traveler I found where the wire harnes is located there is where it is driping from. I thought it was the glue from the dashboard. Has anyone had this problem? Should I try to super glue or some how put a sealant around it or don't try to? The mechanic at chrysler said it could be from the diode? And to leave it alone. I just don't want anything shorting out. No one knows what it is and really doesn't care. That's why I am asking. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
Welcome to Turbododge.com. I know the problem you're talking about ,but I forget what it's for.I think it's where a rear speaker amp would be in the center of the dash under the dash cover.Maybe a headlight module? Others here will step up and help you. Sorry I wasn't much help. if it's what I think it is I'd probably wrap it in Gorilla tape and put it back.

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
I have the same problem with my 88 LeBaron. It looks like brown tar! It was all over the radio etc, never could find out where it came from.

·
Registered
53 Posts
same problem, nobody has any info on this?
It is from the headlight module located in the center of the dash. From the high temps and age all of the "glue" for a lack of better words runs out of it and onto anything below.

If you look around TD there was another link a week or so ago talking about it.

_Ryan

·
Registered
681 Posts
The sun cooks the dash, liquifies the potting material inside the headlight module, and then it drips out the bottom of the unit where it was originally filled on the production line.

Time to pop your dash cover and remove it. Takes about 5 minutes, tops. You can remove the top of the module, clean out the goop, reflow the solder inside the module and then tape it back up to give you another 20 years of headlight operation.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds like melted epoxy. All boards are covered with it in the automotive industry and when it heats up ALOT it'll melt. Also possible it could be melted insulation.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
OK, for those of you that have cleaned up this mess, what did you use? It has been a while since I messed with an 87 Shelby Z that I have, but I seem to remember using several 'handy' cleaners that I had and nothing would work very well. Any suggestions? TIA!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,182 Posts
There are a few threads on this subject, I will try and dig them up. IIRC, there was very little luck on the carpets. But the best thing you can do, is to soak them for a long time, and heat them up.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mineral spirit was effective when I cleaned it up. Hard to remove for sure! Be sure to remove the headlight module and remove the rest of the gooey(sp?) stuff. Other wise it will just drip out again...Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts