Turbo Dodge Forums banner

89 Lebaron turbo I engine replaced no start, crazy stuff happening....

633 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NAJ 
#1 ·
First let me say I have owned an 89 TI for 15 years, few problems I always found answers here from Naj and never needed to post a question. The original I owned was destroyed by a lady going thru a stop sign. I purchased the car from insurance as the engine was still running after the crash and It always ran great with only 59k miles on it.
I decided to buy another 89 with a bad engine and put my orig in it. The "new donor" 89 is a late 88 with the electronic dash and also has the turn marker lights on front fenders. the car ran with no codes even though it had a hole in the block and sounded like a tommy gun when running. I expected an easy swap with no problems.

Well that didn't happen. with fingers crossed I turned the key to on and immediately heard a chattering sound I've never heard before. Also, the digital dash did it's start check but then after returning to zero mph the display was showing crazy mph 9, 15, 240, 30... crazy with the key only in the on position. I went to check the clicking sound and it was coming from the starter relay (50732). Well you know I took all the parts off the totaled car so I replaced the relay. Sound went away and the dash stayed at zero mph after the initial start. I'm thinking all is well. Nope! no start. I drove it into the garage before replacing the engine, it was supposed to go smooth.... I put a bulb on the coil, nothing, not on hot or neg. I replaced the HEP even thow it was fine before the swap. no change. I'm looking for guideance. could the 88 be different in some way? all connectors were the same. I labeled everything to ensure easy peasy result. I have another 89 as well to compare readings, that one is an 89. so I can swap parts to test if need be. Thanking you in advance for your help, Sincerely, Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
Start here and post back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.