Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 89 lebaron, anybody ever put performance parts on one of these? I was wondering where i could get an intake or exhaust or something. Ive got the 2.5 Turbo

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You basically have the same intake as most all TII setups. About the best you can do is intercool it and open up the exhaust. That car is easy to intercool. Take a look at other TII setups and you'll see how similar they are.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I had an 89 Baron convt. back home. Plenty of room in front of the radiator for a big intercooler. I ran a volvo intercooler in mine with no problems. I found that there wasnt a lot of airflow through the grill(s) so you may want to run air ducts to the cooler to improve performance. Other than that upgrade the exhaust( I had a 2.5" over the axle pipe bent up at midas for $15, gutted the cat, and ran a cheap 2.5" glasspack) add extra injectors and upgrade to a better turbo from that mitsu.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm new at this, so, without sounding silly, how would I go about installing an intercooler, how would I know what one will fit?

I can turn nuts and bolts, but I don't really know what Im doing yet :(

thanks

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Totally understandable. Myself, I have 3 intercooled cars and I bet if they weren't, I'd get confused myself.:bang head. I also just turn bolts. Everything I have is stock. That's why I said to look at pictures of an intercooled setup. If you got an airbox and hoses from a TII Daytona/Lebaron, (TII= intercooled 2.2 with a garrett turbo. TI is non-intercooled 2.5 with a Mitsubishi turbo. at least after 88?) it would be a direct bolt in project. That is, If you had a stock radiator/intercooler. Those are getting scarce. Not so much the intercooler, but the smaller sized radiator that goes with it. You can't get them new anywhere. The stock 'cooler goes next to a special smaller radiator. Your radiator is larger. That's why an aftermarket intercooler is a good option. Plus, the larger you go, the better. Just stay here and keep asking questions and you'll be on your way in no time.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Well lets start off with the basics. Here is a great site Donovan's Dodge Garage. If you read everything there you will have a basic Idea of what you have. An intercooler is not hard to run. The stock one from a daytona is a bolt in unit. They can be found in the forsale section or on ebay for around 100-150 depending on condition. The second is an aftermarket or another intercooler from another car. ITs simple to install, one pipe end goes to the throttle body and the other goes to the turbo inlet off of the 2 intercooler inlets. You can find kits to make your own tubing. If you dont find all the t2 stuff you can run a cone filter. I have 2 2.5 turbo barons myself and they are very good for cruising and can be made to go fast. I would say intercool it, put some proper gauges in for monitoring your car such as a GOOD aftermarket boost gauge and Air Fuel gauge which can be found at most local auto parts stores then put on a g-valve (if you read the site you will understand) and set it to just under 15 psi (boost cut out)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what size intercooler do you have in your lebaron? Like i said, i have the 2.5, which i guess was the T1 design. What size do i need for the inlet and outlet?

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
It's a 2 1/4 inch inlet and outlet if I remember correctly. I have intercooled one of my barons using a stock set up out of a t2 daytona. No cutting, hacking, etc just a direct bolt on set up. I will eventually find myself a spearco front mount and custom fab some piping but for now the stock unit has worked fine for me running about 14 psi on the stock 2.5. It has accepted it with out a hitch and with the 2.5's low end torque and quick spool up, its nice having instant boost spike to 14 and hold with out any issues.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Just get a TII rad/intercooler setup.They bolt in.Here is a bic of the TII intercooler in my 2.5 turbo shadow.
[/IMG]

Get pics of your car up asap. IF you don't know how to post them send them to me and ill post them for you :thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
will do, i just have to get kodak easy share on the computer.

Its just a burgundy 89 lebaron with a white top. when this one is shot ill replace it with black. any way, ive pretty much just re did the sound system with alpine head unit and alpine speakers soon will be getting a sub.... gotta have my music sounding good!

Now all i need is to find out where I can get an intercooler and parts....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just get a TII rad/intercooler setup.They bolt in.Here is a bic of the TII intercooler in my 2.5 turbo shadow.
[/IMG]

Get pics of your car up asap. IF you don't know how to post them send them to me and ill post them for you :thumb:
Someone likes zip ties.:eek:
Quite often a stock TII intercooler and radiator come up in the "For Sale" section. Make sure they have all the bracketry don't forget to grab the intercooler hoses too.
I did the same thing with my '89, although even though I have the correct one, I'm having a custom radiator made. Stock, the cooling was marginal with the smaller TII radiator.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
burgundy with a white top? Thats an interesting combo. 89 turbo barons are interesting beasts you should have fun with it.
check the forsale section often and you should find one. If you are looking for a deal you will have to look a little harder
But if you have a bigger budget then most of us here you can find some pretty sweet deals on parts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
burgundy with a white top? Thats an interesting combo. 89 turbo barons are interesting beasts you should have fun with it.
check the forsale section often and you should find one. If you are looking for a deal you will have to look a little harder
But if you have a bigger budget then most of us here you can find some pretty sweet deals on parts.
More common color combo than not. That's what mine is.

Attachments

• 185.7 KB Views: 14,994

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought it like that lol.There are a bunch of stupid little things like that slowly getting fixed.
I can relate. The more I look at mine, the more dumb things I see. A previous owner let a oil leak go for so long that I know the underside of the car will never see rust.:bang head Ever.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Thats a pretty nice car. I seem to find the red solid color barons being more common

I have only seen this color combo a couple of times

My radiator in my red car is not even a chrysler radiator. It's labeled ford lmao! But my motor has been jerryrigged together quite nicely. My PVC has a filter on it and the line going to the intake is plugged by a burnt spark plug and a screw clamp. My radiator is also zip tied as well as my kickdown linkage piece that goes to the throttle body has a zip tie aswell. When I got the car it had all the vacuum lines routed wrong.

·
We'll do it live!
7,614 Posts
man i want a burgundy lebaron now. That vert looks amazing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts