Turbo Dodge Forums banner

89 mini Smec socket with a 27sf512 feeling dumb

3K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Shel-Game 
#1 ·
Please be patient cause I'm just getting crazy by just reading searching for hours and days still i'm not understanding. What I need is someone to guide me on what I need first for my 89 smec socket to have atleast 2-4 cals.

First thing I need:
1) Smec socket
2)EMUC2818 Emulation Cable 28-pin 18-inch
3)Moates 2Timer
4)Switch, What type ?

Is there more please fill me in. I have a 27sf512 chip in the socket. I will need someone to burn the chips once it is done. I don't wanna learn how to burn chips I'll go nutz:bang head unless I have someone here to show me.

Wife is going nutz cause i'm on the computer for hours and days trying to learn to make things easier for my van. I got my mtx-l wideband today yeah.

Hoping you guys understand what Im trying to do.

#2 ·
I THINK you could have two seperate calibrations if you had a chip burner. Or something that plugged into your SMEC wiring that could burn it for you.

Basically all you would be doing is have the chip burner program on your computer. Someone wpuld write the cals for you, and you would burn them onto the chip yourself.

Someone who burns cals would be a ble to elaborate, but unless you have a standalone system, I dont think you can have two calibrations on the same chip, you'd have to re-burn them each time.

#19 ·
Is this mean I can talk to someone by email of what I'm running on my 2.5 to do the cals for me and send it to me by email and I do the burning myself.
Love to find someone who knows how. That would be blessing and much easier for me. Any volunteers I know we have some here.

Read my post couple of time and post #2 caught my attention.

#4 ·
Moates burner is very easy to use.

You can get either setup, and they'll both work fine.

Burn chip and swap chip
EMUC2818 Emulation Cable 28-pin 18-inch [EMUC2818] - $9.00 : Moates.Net
'BURN2 Chip Programmer' [BURN2] - $85.00 : Moates.Net
Chip Extender 1.0 [CHIPEXT] - $20.00 : Moates.Net
S2 Aries 28-pin ZIF Socket [S2] - $10.00 : Moates.Net
Ok how will I put this in order.
1) I hook this (EMUC2818 Emulation Cable 28-pin 18-inch) onto my smec socket first.
2)I hook this (Chip Extender 1.0) on the other end of the cable.
3) Lol where does this goes (S2 Aries 28-pin ZIF Socket). Does it go on the chip extender socket.
4) Do I need two chips to run this package

Cheaper. That's the only advantage.

No chip, just connect your laptop to the ortrich
EMUC2818 Emulation Cable 28-pin 18-inch [EMUC2818] - $9.00 : Moates.Net
'Ostrich 2.0 : The New Breed' [OSTRICH_2] - $175.00 : Moates.Net
If this is all I need. Price is not bad. Its not far from the first package. Will I need the cable and the BURN2 Chip Programmer also.

Damm I already convince my wife all I need is the mtx-l wideband. Now i'm going to tell her all I need again to many

Oops I also wrote in the gray area for the first package.

#6 ·
You don't really need the extender if you're going to run a cal switcher. The extender makes it easy to swap chips by putting the socket somewhere easy to get at (rather than closed up in the SMEC).

The Ostrich is nice for tuning, but some have had issues using it daily.

And, the Moates 2Timer isn't the only cal switcher available. I sell one also with a cable and switch -
DoublePlay, Boost Button
ZIF Socket, Boost Button
27SF512, Boost Button

Finally, MP Tune comes bundled with a great little program called the BIN Stacker that will put together binary files into 1 file for the cal switcher (should work for either the 2Timer or the DoublePlay).

#16 ·
you need the 1990 SBEC harness and computer to add the 32pin socket. But if you can solder well enough for doing a whole socket you should be able to build the flashable SMEC too

#14 ·
Yeah I've seen and read that 32 pin instruction and I don't think I wanna go there.

I like to concentrate on this route on post#6 if its a plug and play. I like to atleast have something like street and race mode on a switch.

Shelgame can you make a list of what I need to go this route on post #6. So I can picture and study on how I will puzzle this things together to run it.

You know something that I don't have to keep opening the hood to keep changing something.

#15 ·
flashing doesn't take long and you can have as many cals as you can fit on the HD. Without taking the computer out or popping the hood. If you can flash it you can make changes when you add flow parts like a bigger IC or exhaust or turbo. If you get mods and the cal doesn't match you'll need to get the chips in the mail

#18 ·
Yep, I got your order, thanks.

You will need a burner, and go download MP Tune. The Binstacker program is built in and it was designed specifically to put 2 cals together for the DoublePlay.

I would say the Moates Burn2 is good, especially if you're new to cals. It only does a couple of chips, so there's really no fiddling to get it setup. Plus, MP Tune can also write cals directly to it - a nice plus. You can also get a 'Willem' style programmer for a little bit less $$. But, they do a ton of chips, so getting one setup for the 27SF512 can be a PITA at times. Plus, the software is kind of old, and getting ti setup in Win7 definitely is a PITA. Unless you like fiddling, go with the Burn2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.