Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the Pin out for the 89' Turbo Minivan's Bulkhead and the one for the 86' Omni GLH T1. Anyone know where I can get these?

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Public library in the reference section. Look for the Mitchell repair manuals. The wiring diagrams for the Caravan/Voyager aren't in the regular automobile reference books. There is another Mitchell repair book just for the trucks/vans. Plan on some quality time with the photocopier!

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I got most of it done in a weekend. I would try to familiarize yourself with the harness and various circuits as much as possible before starting. The reason I modified a turbo Caravan harness for my Omni is because it was what I had laying around (free). I used the *entire* harness, and modified it so that it worked for my Omni. I had to splice on the correct headlight connectors, relocate relays and solenoids, and shorten some sections of it so it would fit better. The bulkheads also didn't match between my Omni and the Caravan. I had to splice on a 40-pin bulkhead so it would plug into my Omni. The 50-pin bulkhead that the Caravan used had a combination of small and large pins inside of the bulkhead. The 40-pin bulkhead connector that my Omni used had all large pins. To get around this mis-match, I unclipped each pin from the 50-pin bulkhead, and discarded the shell. The large pins were then simply reinserted into the correct pin location (for an '86 Omni) in a 40-pin bulkhead shell. For the small pins, I had to cut and splice on large pins, and then insert them into the correct position inside the 40-pin bulkhead.

In 1988, Chrysler decided to go with a 50-pin bulkhead for the Omni/Horizon. For an '88-up Omni, only the bulkhead pinout would need to be changed to make the turbo Caravan harness work.

Another way to go about the bulkhead mis-match problem is to make an adapter. I have made one of these and it allows you to plug an underhood harness with a 50-pin bulkhead into a car with a 40-pin firewall bulkhead. The reason I made one was because of the harness I made for another board member. I was converting the harness for him, but planned to use my '85 Omni GLH as the test-bed for the harness. I t was then that I learned that '88-up Omni's got the 50-pin bulkhead; but my '85 Omni GLH had a 40-pin. I made a bulkhead adapter harness out of some bulkhead shells and extra wiring I had laying around. It worked perfectly, except that it interfered with the clutch cable.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to the library.... All they had were Chilton's manuals and they don't provide the pin out's for any of the cars. :bang head

1 - 6 of 6 Posts