Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again everyone. If you've seen my previous post about my 1989 Chrysler TC Maserati not running you'd know that after a few long months I finally got her running. to catch up the link it below...

Now she's running but that's a loose term....she starts but the RPMs are all over the place, she coughs and backfires constantly and will continuously try to die. Next step in the process is to correct all that . Below is a list of what is new on the car that may relate to this issue.

• fuel tank
  • fuel pump,
  • fuel level sensor
  • fuel filter
  • all fuel lines hard and soft
  • fuel regulator
  • all 4 new injectors
  • all new plugs
  • all new wires
  • new distributor and coil
  • new timing belt and car is freshly timed
  • lastly a NOS OEM HEP sensor, which was the final piece of the puzzle to get her running
Today I unhooked the battery to reset the fault codes and ran her in and out of the garage which is about all she can manage to do. Heres what I got

12- battery recently unhooked..... of course
27 - Injector circuit isn't switching when it's told to (TBI) ......???
41- Alternator field control circuit open or shorted......Alternator isn't jumping up to 13-14v so I assume it's in need of replacement
47- Battery voltage too low and alternator output too low .......same as above
54 - No sync pickup signal during engine rotation (turbo only) ......now this one I don't get. This should have been fixed with the HEP as that was what was causing it to not start and it fired right up once replaced.

I advanced her a tad by spinning the Dizzy and that seemed to help but by no means made a substantial difference. I have no clue how to time these with a light as the timing marks are hidden under the air and I couldn't get that thing off to save my life. I assume just like a traditional non-tubo car you can time with a vacuum/pressure gauge?

anyway, I'm open to any discussion points and suggestions as to what to try next and what the codes above mean.

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Where is the backfire coming from, the exhaust or intake?

Again we are going to be back to where we were in the other thread and although it may sound redundant and be a PITA we cannot "assume".
Please verify a few basic things...
1)Are any fault codes stored in memory?
2)Are the spark plugs fouled?
a)None, 1 or 2, all?
3)What is engine vacuum reading? (you will have to tee the gauge inline, 15 - 20" HG is the normal range)
a)At a manifold source
b)At the map sensor
4)Static Fuel Pressure (Key On/Engine Off, ASD manually actuated)
a)53 - 57 PSI?
b)When you stop the ASD actuation does pressure hold?
5)Any issues with the vacuum system?
a)Are all lines routed properly?
b)Are any lines disconnected/cracked/broken/collapsed?
89 Turbo 2 Vacuum.jpg
6)Verify Cam and Ignition Timing are correct.
Do you own or have access to a timing light with an "Advance Meter"?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone, I'll answer the bullet points I can right now below.

0. I do have access to an Oscope and will do that hopefully this coming weekend when I return from a business trip. But as mentioned the Car did not run at all before the installation of this new HEP, so it stands to reason that it did not work and now does. I will scope it ASAP to verify the waveform.
1)Are any fault codes stored in memory? Not that I can see with the dash light. I intentionally reset the codes via the battery to not confuse the ones I incurred trying to get it running with the ones I get once it actually starts and runs.
2)Are the spark plugs fouled? No, they are new plugs and I confirmed today that they have not fouled now that it has been running.
a)None, 1 or 2, all? None
3)What is engine vacuum reading? (you will have to tee the gauge inline, 15 - 20" HG is the normal range) Now the engine is running like crap so the vacuum flutters with RPM but it stays between 15-20, never below 15 and typically 17-18 at manifold source
a)At a manifold source 17.5" average, not low by any means.
b)At the map sensor This one I didn't measure yet, should i measure it between that filter and the MAP sensor?
a)53 - 57 PSI?
Yes confirmed, pressure is 55
b)When you stop the ASD actuation does pressure hold? Yes pressure holds at 55 when stopped after running, sometimes 53-54, but it doesn't drop.
Yes. I redid and cleanly routed the lines. All lines are new, high temp and pressure silicone lines. All new fittings as well.
b)Are any lines disconnected/cracked/broken/collapsed? No 95% of all lines and fittings are new. The only ones I did not redo was the one to the wastegate and the large ones from the PCV to air cleaner.
6)Verify Cam and Ignition Timing are correct. Timing at the belt has been set and verified at least 4 times recently. however she has not been formally dialed in with a light and distributor movement yet.
Do you own or have access to a timing light with an "Advance Meter"? I do own a very nice digital timing light with an adjustable advance setting. I'm hoping you don't tell me it's timed to that extremely hard to see marking under the air box.😂

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Regarding timing. Yes you need to hit the timing marks under the air box, and yes it's possible.

I marked mine with white liquid paper or womens french manicure nail polish (can't remember which) for ease of reading. If I recall you're looking to have around 10-12 advance on the marks when idling with the temp sensor unplugged.

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
First...
0 Degrees!!! What The!!!.gif
I hate cold weather and winter and to this point (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!) we have had an extremely mild winter, only had 2-3 days below freezing and no measurable snowfall.
On a side note there is a light at the end of the tunnel...
Phillies Pitchers and Catchers report to spring training on Feb 12 and the groundhog did not see his shadow, so, early spring!!! Clapping.gif Big Grin.png

Be safe on your business trip.

To check vacuum to the Map Sensor...
1) Tee into the line between the manifold and baro solenoid to be sure proper vacuum is reaching the solenoid.
2)Once that is verified tee your gauge inline between the baro solenoid and map sensor.

You can easily check/verify cam timing with a timing light with an advance meter.
1)Remove the access plug from the upper timing cover.
2)Remove the airbox to gain access to the timing window on the bellhousing.
3)Connect your timing light
4)Start the engine and allow to reach normal operating temp.
5)With the engine running disconnect the CTS connector
6)Shine your light at the timing window
7)With the advance meter bring the timing mark to 0 degrees.
8)Now take your light over to the other side and shine the light at the access hole in the timing cover.
9)The slot in the cam sprocket should be at 12 o'clock center with the cylinder head/timing cover.
(Do not forget the cylinder head is on an angle so centerline is not 12-6, more like 11-5.
IMAGE-Timing Mark Center Line.jpg Upper Timing Cover.JPG
10)If it is, cam timing is good.
11)Shut the engine off before reconnecting the CTS connector.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny you mention it....I actually live in Punxsutawney less than a mile from gobblers knob. Had a big party this weekend hence why the car didn’t get worked on. I’m busy all this week but I’ll test that other vacuum location and time it with the gun this weekend. Not looking forward to taking that air box off 😭 last time I tried the rear bracket bolt couldn’t even be 1/8 turned and after 45 mins I finally gave up on trying to get it off

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
All you have to do is be able to remove/move the air box enough so you can gat a clear view of the timing window.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright. So I was able to get the air box off and throw a timing light on. I figured I better start there since I know she wasn’t dialed in. Well it was a futile effort. The engine runs so poorly that I can’t get a decent bead on it. The light and rpm sense are all over the place. I painted the little mark white so I could see it better. Adjust the light up and down 60degrees each side of zero and I couldn’t get that white mark to stay in one spot. See the video Below, the audio doesn’t do it justice, those thuds are actually ear shattering backfires. I guess I’ll check those other vacuum lines and scope the sensor next since this timing won’t work until it’s running better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No...I must’ve missed that memo above. I’ll have to try that Sunday. Does that smooth it out or removal electrical advance? I think I still have some sort of hep issue because the timing gun was sensing #1 spark real erratically. Even with a sloppy idle I’d think it would be more consistent. And those back fires.....I’ve never heard backfires that loud, and I’ve never heard ones coming from the engine bay and not the tail pipe

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
It's in 29.8 in the attached pdf. Hope this helps. Mark the notches for the timing you desire. I found it easy to use some of my wifes white french tip nail polish and mark one line on the degree advance I wanted on the bellhousing marks, and one on the flywheel notch itself. The flywheel was hard to get into exact position, but can be moved with a screwdriver if you get the point that you can see the flywheel notch in the little window. Engine is started, and then disconnect and reconnect the temp sensor...then take your readings. I recall setting 12* advance for mine (I think calls for 10* but check your emmissions label under the hood for your setting). If the mark is jumping around alot, I'd make sure the cap/rotor and wires are good, but also that the distributor base clamp allows you to move it, but that it is still firmly seated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Oh yeah, and be careful of that electric fan! ...especially when messing with the distributor! A wrench contacting the fan is not a good thing

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
Thanks everyone, I'll answer the bullet points I can right now below.

0. I do have access to an Oscope and will do that hopefully this coming weekend when I return from a business trip. But as mentioned the Car did not run at all before the installation of this new HEP, so it stands to reason that it did not work and now does. I will scope it ASAP to verify the waveform.
1)Are any fault codes stored in memory? Not that I can see with the dash light. I intentionally reset the codes via the battery to not confuse the ones I incurred trying to get it running with the ones I get once it actually starts and runs.
2)Are the spark plugs fouled? No, they are new plugs and I confirmed today that they have not fouled now that it has been running.
a)None, 1 or 2, all? None
3)What is engine vacuum reading? (you will have to tee the gauge inline, 15 - 20" HG is the normal range) Now the engine is running like crap so the vacuum flutters with RPM but it stays between 15-20, never below 15 and typically 17-18 at manifold source
a)At a manifold source 17.5" average, not low by any means.
b)At the map sensor This one I didn't measure yet, should i measure it between that filter and the MAP sensor?
a)53 - 57 PSI?
Yes confirmed, pressure is 55
b)When you stop the ASD actuation does pressure hold? Yes pressure holds at 55 when stopped after running, sometimes 53-54, but it doesn't drop.
Yes. I redid and cleanly routed the lines. All lines are new, high temp and pressure silicone lines. All new fittings as well.
b)Are any lines disconnected/cracked/broken/collapsed? No 95% of all lines and fittings are new. The only ones I did not redo was the one to the wastegate and the large ones from the PCV to air cleaner.
6)Verify Cam and Ignition Timing are correct. Timing at the belt has been set and verified at least 4 times recently. however she has not been formally dialed in with a light and distributor movement yet.
Do you own or have access to a timing light with an "Advance Meter"? I do own a very nice digital timing light with an adjustable advance setting. I'm hoping you don't tell me it's timed to that extremely hard to see marking under the air box.😂
1)Does all of the above still hold true, we are obviously missing something.
a)You now have the vehicle running albeit poorly which now takes us from a "no start" to a "driveabilty issue".
b)Here is Chryslers Diagnostic Flow Chart for "Driveabilty Issues With No Fault Codes or Codes 51/52".
c)What did we miss?
(5)Test NF1 Code 51-52  1.jpg

Also, do not know if I asked this before...
Is the main controller ground securely connected between the manifold and firewall?
ELECTRICAL- Main Controller Ground 84-89.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts