Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys Most of the chats i read about break in are old... I have a stock rebuild 89 TD 2.5 S&S (reman company) rebuilt 10 years ago... Now its in just dropped in my 89 caravan... Ive read various approaches... The seemingly most popular one is drive it hard change oil several times on low mile intervals etc..but it talks about newer engines liking this process, but of coarse he doesnt go into whats considered a newer engine & no date on the article i read lol. The key here is this is a 10 year old rebuild, so im not sure how they did the bore back then.... any ideas? FYI it has 10w 30 dino (not synth) in it now. My mechanic ran it a while & drove it around the block a few times, thats it till now.

THX!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
There's no actual break in required for a proper running vehicle.

Most "new Engine" issues are overheating or other things like timing and vacuum hoses.

Driving sensibly ensures problems like overheating don't get bad real fast!!

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've always been told to drive at various speeds for first 500 miles with brake in oil in the car. Typically a conventional 30 weight. Also letting the engine slow down the vehicle when approaching stops via down shifting, apparently it helps seal the rings.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've always been told to drive at various speeds for first 500 miles with brake in oil in the car. Typically a conventional 30 weight. Also letting the engine slow down the vehicle when approaching stops via down shifting, apparently it helps seal the rings.
................................................................................................................................
I def think its a good idea to use the conventional 30 oil for VERY short time, then go to real break in oil, run that for 50 miles or so, then another oil change with break in oil run that for about 500 miles, then use whatever oil you want (i prefer mobil1). Im always curious what has worked well for other TD guys for better ring etc...seating, who runs the car hard right off the bat & who doesnt & why? Its interesting how many diff opinions there are lol...BUT i def think what i mentioned above is a must as your getting rid off all the lil filings etc... when you change oil several times with low miles. P.S. DONT skimp on oil filters!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
................................................................................................................................
I would agree varying speed, let eng slow car down etc... I def think its a good idea to use the conventional dino (not break in not synth) 30 Weight oil for VERY short time, then go to real break in oil, run that for 50 miles or so, then another oil change with break in oil run that for about 500 miles, then use whatever oil you want (i prefer mobil1). Im always curious what has worked well for other TD guys for better ring etc...seating, who runs the car hard right off the bat & who doesnt & why? Its interesting how many diff opinions there are lol...BUT i def think what i mentioned above is a must as your getting rid off all the lil filings etc... when you change oil several times with low miles. P.S. DONT skimp on oil filters!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Use conventional for initial break in. I normally start it up. rev the engine up and down . hold it at 3 K for a bit. go around the block. get it to temp. iddle it for 5-10 minutes.
shut it down. drain the oil. put in good stuff . top off coolant and drive it normal for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use conventional for initial break in. I normally start it up. rev the engine up and down . hold it at 3 K for a bit. go around the block. get it to temp. iddle it for 5-10 minutes.
shut it down. drain the oil. put in good stuff . top off coolant and drive it normal for the first 1000 miles.
......................................................................................................................

and DONT skimp on filters! they are prolly the most important part at this point

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
......................................................................................................................

and DONT skimp on filters! they are prolly the most important part at this point
If your curious about oil filters and misc. debris left in engine during rebuilding, cut the oil filter apart and inspect.
Todd

·
Legendary Driver
10,931 Posts
I def think its a good idea to use the conventional 30 oil for VERY short time, then go to real break in oil, run that for 50 miles or so, then another oil change with break in oil run that for about 500 miles, then use whatever oil you want (i prefer mobil1). Im always curious what has worked well for other TD guys for better ring etc...seating, who runs the car hard right off the bat & who doesnt & why? Its interesting how many diff opinions there are lol...BUT i def think what i mentioned above is a must as your getting rid off all the lil filings etc... when you change oil several times with low miles. P.S. DONT skimp on oil filters!
+1. Drive it easy, Let the machined parts seat themselves. Just like warming the car when it's warm. you pound on it the damage is going to happen that much faster and harder. I agree on the oil changes as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts