Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hacker cracks 8M credit card accounts
NEW YORK -- An "unauthorized intruder" gained access to some 8 million credit card account numbers -- including Visa, MasterCard and American Express -- by breaching the security of a company that processes transactions for merchants, the card companies said Tuesday.

Visa said there had been no sign of fraudulent activity involving the accounts and that the card association was monitoring the situation.

A spokeswoman for American Express said security processes were in place to determine if card numbers were being misused.

Mastercard said it was notified of the breech early this month and that "approximately 8 million account numbers, of which 2.2 million were MasterCard cards, were possibly compromised."

An estimated 3.4 million Visa cards were involved, a Visa USA spokesman said. American Express declined to give a specific total. It was not immediately clear how many other card issuers were affected.

None of the card firms would identify the third-party processor or say when or how the unauthorized intrusion occurred. As a result, it could not be determined if the incident involved an outside hacker, unauthorized access by an employee or some kind of physical theft of a database.

Visa, MasterCard and American Express have "zero-liability policies" protecting customers from fraudulent card usage.

-- Associated Press

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Oh boy.....Not a good thing at all !!!! :(

You never know these days how safe your transactions are. I had a breath of a little confidence though the other day when I got a call from my credit card company quistioning an overseas transaction I had made. They called to verify that I actually made the charge....kinda made me feel a little better but with this now, who knows ?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Note: JANERUS

If this company hits your credit card. Watch out. They will bill small amout to your card ie 5.95 3x on mine and then once they find out they have cleared they will hit the card for as much as they can. x(

My credit card fraud department called me to inquier about the charges because the company if on there fraud list. They had charged 5.95 3x in a matter of an hour.

PUT A STOP TO THAT ONE RIGHT AWAY.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts