Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed the headlight module repair on my '90 Daytona C/S. I searched through the posts on this repair and studied the pictures posted of the '89 and older Daytonas, saw the thread that located the module on my car, then pulled it out today. I didnt have to even pull the knee bolster down, just looked up under the dash and found it clipped onto the brace as described.

I found a couple bad solder joints, mostly where the relays install into the circuit board. I did find one bad joint where one of the connector's pins is soldered to the pcb. I flowed new solder onto all them, good or bad, just be on the safe side. I installed it back in the car and the headlights are now working fine.

Did I mention that I know have a couple headlight motors to get rid of since I will not be installing them?!

I took pictures of the module and components as I did the job, but do not have that photobucket thing to upload them. If anyone wants to, I can email them the pictures and they can find a way to get them on here.

Key notes of this job:

The module is rectangular in shape, flat on 5 sides, but stepped on one of the sides. I used a razor blade to cut the box at what looked like a casting line, and then was very happy when the "cover" actually popped right off. The gel stuff on the inside was not liquidy at all. One section of it at the connector comes out on its own. The whole pcb is completely encased in the gel all the way around. I sliced the gel around the perimeter of the pcb and peeled the whole side off the pcb in one whole piece. It stuck in some spots but I pushed it loose with a small screwdriver and kept it intact.

The circuits are not exposed on the side the pins come through, so it would be pretty tough to mess it up. 5 minutes to clean up the board of residual gel and 5 minutes of soldering and it was done. I put the piece of gel back in the module case, put the module back in, snapped the cover on, taped the seams with black electrical tape, and it was done.

Even though soldering and electrical repairs dont bother me, this ended up being easier than I thought, and extremely satisfying when seeing them actually go down for the first time!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm new to the group, but have been looking for some help on my 87 Daytona Shelby Z. Problem: no dash, tail or parking lights. I know all bulbs are good, the fuse is good, replaced headlight switch and that didn't work. I had them working for a while when I pulled the headlight switch to parking lights and fiddled around with it but as soon as I pulled switch to headlight mode, parking, tail and dash lights went out. Right now I can not even get lights to woek by fiddling with switch. I don't have schemetic for this car so I don't know what else could be causing problem. Could you email the info. on the head light module?
Thanks,
Dan D.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Patrick, you the man!!! After receiving your e-mail pics I started working on it. My cost w/ all parts (soldering gun,electrical tape,epoxy,and solder) $27.55 OEM part list $102.55 Thanks again Patrick

Rick

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dan, without a schematic, I'd be guessing that it sounds like your switch is on the fritz. I do not know if that year has a bcm, but I doubt it.

Send me a pm with your email address and I can send you a couple of pics right from my phone.

Rick, glad you had success with your repair. Great feeling when they work, aint it?!
Patrick

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also thought it was the switch and after trying 3 from the junk yard and 1 new one, I've decided it is something else. Appreciate and help you can provide.
Thanks,
Dan D.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I also thought it was the switch and after trying 3 from the junk yard and 1 new one, I've decided it is something else. Appreciate and help you can provide.
Thanks,
Dan D.
Start a thread in the electrical section on your problem and you will get alot of help with it.
Tim

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I want to point out that I've come across what I beleive is a later replacement HCM and the potting material is rock hard! It is more like a hard plastic than the old stuff. I've not attempted to get to the PCB yet, but I think I'm going ot end up breaking it when I do. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Charger R/T
After changing the headlight switch with 3 used and 3 new and the plug, I decided the head light switch wasn't the cause of no trail, parking or dash lights. I thought I would try changing the head light mogule, because the line that powers the parking lights is connected through the plug. At first the lights did not work, but after letting new module insatalled for a while, the lights started to work. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this module was the problem.
ValleyBoy

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
funny I just got here and I just posted my thoughts on the module in your other thread.
Tim

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's screwy. You could jump the old headlight switch and they would work, but installing a new one didnt. The headlight switch sends power to the module according to the wiring diagram. So you had no power coming into the module but putting a new module on somehow fixed it? I do electrical work in my sleep but this baffles me.

I'm not tearing you a new one, I just cant figure this one out!
Patrick

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
There is a realy bank in the dirver's footwell...I'm wondering if by chance he didn't disturb something having to do with that? I don't have the diagrams sitting in front of me, but I'm 99 positive that the switches on the bezel don't control anything directly, including the HCM. They all use a realy, then where applicable go the the BCM which sends out signals from there....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guess what guys? You can all sleep easy tonight. The problem is not the switch nor the module or the plug. It's the fuse block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tonight I was putting everything back together again and when was all done, guess what, NO LIGHTS!!! My jaw dropped, then I retraced my steps and realized that I moved the fuse block. So I moved it again and the lights went on, moving the block makes lights go off and on. There is some bad connection so I will try to isolate it and make repair. What a trip trying to find this problem, but it appears that I have really isolated it now. Thanks for all your help.
Dan D.

·
Registered
16 Posts
John - Are you looking for pics of the fuse block or what? I have just been going by pics that are available in the posts.
ValleyBoy

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also did the solder fix on my headlight module after finding the other thread on this forum, it was easy and worked like a charm.

I had two spare good modules, so I'll just keep the repaired one as a spare, but it's good to have info like that on TurboDodge!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Glad to see those posts still being used.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
they have been used more then the post count shows. I have linked them to many threads. What is needed is pictures from the other module style either added or a thread for those.
Tim

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I don't need any pictures. I link this thread to other threads for newbies that can't search. Some have the other module and all I can post is the module looks differant but has the same issues. Pictures of it would be nice for them. This thread is nice because it shows exactly where you need to cut this style.
Tim

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
What I was saying is which module does this thread need pictures of...

I don't recall seeing any picutres ont he first page, but then again I've been accused of being almost blind too...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts