Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I'm having intermittent issues with my headlights on my 1991 Dodge Daytona. More than 50% of the time the headlight switch does not open the headlight doors. Using the optical horn/flash to pass is the only reliable way to open the headlight doors. Additionally, the low beams do not work more than 50% of the time. The high beams work reliably however.

I grabbed the body diagnostics manual and started with troubleshooting the headlight doors not opening. I followed the tests to ensure the relay is getting power. I then followed the tests to see if the DRB could actuate the doors, which it did! I then followed the test to see if the BCM saw that the headlight status was open or closed with the low beams on. The DRB reported closed which the chart said meant my BCM was bad.

Defeated, I quit for the day but realized that the issue may be in the headlight switch. In previous posts NAJ did some excellent troubleshooting with the switch and found connector and ground issues may be to blame. Those old posts do not have photos anymore.

NAJ are you out there and can you post those photos of your previous repairs?

Any other suggestions to my problems?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I found a new headlight switch I had stashed away but no luck. Looks like the problem lies elsewhere.

I have another BCM on order but am reluctant to use it since it will reset my mileage on my digital odometer to either all zeroes or whatever it was if it was a refurbished one.

I will see if I have the diagnostic manual for a no headlight condition and see if I can make any progress from there.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to update, it turns out the wiring on the harness connector was corroded and green. I took the BCM out many times to clean the terminals on it with no luck. I just always overlooked the harness connector. When I was inspecting the wiring on the harness to make sure it was tight, I noticed much of it was green with corrosion. After cleaning it up, the headlights functioned as normal. All is well now!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts