Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I am looking at buying a 90 Shadow ES turbo five speed. Now the car turns over and started twice on me. But runs Extremly rought. idles really choppy and if you give it gas, nothing happens. you can floor it and it still chugs at idle. First thought was a BHG, but the oil is clean, no milkiness.

So It ran for a couple and I shut it off and pulled the codes. Are as follows: 12,24,33,55

So my question is, would a TPS make the car run that bad. He said when he was driving it....He shifted to 3rd and gave it some gas and there was NO power, the car did nothing.

I am going out there tonight to throw a TPS in it, But not sure if a bad TPS would cause these problems.
On the bright side though, The car has No power options, no A/C and four wheel disc! Total stripper model!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
how long has the car been sitting? If it's been a while, you may have gummed up injection parts. I had the same problem with my sundance when I finnaly got it running again. It had been sitting for about 4 years before. I put in two bottles of injection cleaner and let it idle. After a while, the idle smoothed out and the motor was able to rev up a little better. I ran two tanks of fuel, adding two bottles of cleaner in each. Then I changed the filter again (changed it before it fired up the first time). About the third tank or so it ran fine. I had some high load lean conditions at first, but they cleared up as the cleaner worked it's magic.

Just a thought,

Wink

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car has been sitting for a month thats it. It looks really clean underhood, so Thus Why I am thinking just a TPS. The guy who owns it is not a mechanic, and I checked the car is getting fuel, so I know that isint the issue!

·
Registered
285 Posts
90 ES Shadow

I'm with mwrinkle 353. I would put cleaner in tank first. There may be water or gunk in the tank. The fuel filter may be plugging. You can get enough gas to make it idle but it will fall on its face when you try to give it gas. Did you check the codes on the vehicle? TPS code is 24.
boostboy said:
Car has been sitting for a month thats it. It looks really clean underhood, so Thus Why I am thinking just a TPS. The guy who owns it is not a mechanic, and I checked the car is getting fuel, so I know that isint the issue!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tps

Sorry about that. Guess I read the post too fast. If you got a used TPS to throw on it fine. My thought is I wouldn't be spending my money to fix a car if it's not mine.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I bought the car anyways. Its a No option Shadow ES with four wheel discs which is really cool, its like a factory lightweight car or something.
So After Fighting with getting the stripped TPS screwes out. So anyways, I put a new one in the car seemed to run a little better for a couple minutes, it still ran rough but was revving up. Then I reset the computer, and BAM now you have to hold the accelerator to the floor to even get the car to start. Once you are flooring it, it barely idles again, and the motor really moves around. Could it maybe abe a fuel pump that is the problem?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Verify cam timing...

and fuel pressure....

and Base timing on the distributor....

Swap out the hall effect pickup and see what happens if everything else works or is in spec....

How is the condition of the turbocharger? does it spin freely or have any problems??

Do a compression test of all 4 holes to see if you have any weird low pressure cylinders....

See how much cranking compression it has....

GOOD LUCK!!!
RYNO
OMNILET

1 - 10 of 10 Posts