Turbo Dodge Forums banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
The only computers that will work are 90-91 2.5 turbo computers. But, pretty much any computer from any 90-91 2.5 turbo should run it.
Even an automatic equipped turbo would run it? Would it run it well enough that it would keep check engine lights out? I live in Ca, and any check engine lights that are on will keep it from passing smog. I have a fed emissions van, but will a CA emissions ECU work? At this point, if it will make it run, and pass smog, I could care less what part number it is. I just want this damn thing to run so I can have a car to take my son to and from school to, and go get groceries. I never realized how much I use my car until I don't have one.
My second car, my 69 el Camino, just blew a tranny, so I am in DESPERATE need of a car, especially since rain is in the forecast in the next week...

· Administrator
26,352 Posts
The only difference between the Auto and Manual Trans may be AIS control.
The California controller may be set up for EGR where the federal may not be so that may illuminate the CEL.
I would have to look at the vacuum diagram to see if the Cali. car was EGR equipped.

· Administrator
26,352 Posts
The 2.5L TBI was EGR equipped.
The 2.5L Turbo was apparently a 50 state car as nothing is listed for California.
The only engine that is listed seperatly as Federal and California is the 3.3L V-6.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
The 2.5L TBI was EGR equipped.
The 2.5L Turbo was apparently a 50 state car as nothing is listed for California.
The only engine that is listed seperatly as Federal and California is the 3.3L V-6.
So that would mean that I can use either the CA, OR the Fed ECU? If that's the case, that opens up more possibilities....

· Administrator
26,352 Posts
I just looked the controllers up in the Chrysler Parts Catalog and there are different controllers listed for Auto and Manual Trans and California and Federal so there must be differences in the programming for Fuel/Advance Curves.

Download the 90 catalog.
Click on electrical
Scroll down to Page 237, Figure 8-4900
Look thru the different body styles and see if you can locate a part # used by different cars for the 2.5L T-1 and then check the 91/92 catalogs so you can get a list of vehicles that use the same controller.

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f15/338800-chrysler-efiche-parts-catalog-pdf-82-a.html

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I searched through 1990, 91, and 92, but the 90 S body(Voyager/Caravan/Town & Country) is the ONLY one that uses this controller. 5276383 (which is the ORIGINAL part number for this computer, it was later superceded by 5235601.) is the number it listed for my van. I looked it up on realmopar.com and then called them. They said it is discontinued... The sales guy said looking for a used one is my only option.

· Registered
2,217 Posts
Even an automatic equipped turbo would run it? Would it run it well enough that it would keep check engine lights out?
Yes. There really arent any hardware difference between auto and manual, other than the neutral safety switch wiring (which the computer doesnt care about) and the way the computer runs the idle air motor. Keep in mind if you can find ANY 90-91 turbo computer, you could probably get the proper 90, 2.5/auto t1 cal burned onto it by someone.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I got the SBEC in the mail today, installed it, and while it did seem to help, I still can not get the van to run. It is no longer running "foul-the-plugs-and-puff-out-black-smoke-across-the-entire-neighborhood" bad, but it will start and run. I am assuming its the ASD? I have replaced the vacuum leaks I could find, and I am not sure where to go from here.
I pulled the ASD, and checked resistance, and I have continuity across two terminals, but the others are open. Is there any other way to check this thing to make sure its working properly?
I also thought it might be the hall effect pickup inside the distributor since I assume that is what sends the signal to the ECM that the distributor is working. My Haynes manual says that there is no way to check it at home. I am hoping that they are lazy, and that there really is. lol
Anyone else have any ideas?

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I came over to the van today, and like usual try to start it thinking maybe this time will be different. lol This time it would start and run, and shut down, but it felt like it was trying to run longer. I heard a hiss, but I assumed it was the fact that the air filter was off. I checked out the vaccum harness anyways, and saw nothing bad. I did see the PCV sitting almost sideways in the hose, but still not anything that would cause the hissing I heard. Well, I pulled it out, shook it to make sure it was ok, and put it back in. I then tried to start the van, and it fired up and ran. And kept running. I let it run for a few, until I figured, it should be warmed up. I shut it down, pulled the PCV, and cleaned it out, then installed it. I put the air cleaner back on, as well as all the duct work for it, and then fired it up again. It runs strong, and sounds good, but I think I need to change the oil, and the plugs. I have never been a fan of Bosch Platinum plugs. I need to get some gas, then smog it, and finally get it to DMV and get that part taken care of. I am SOO excited to get to drive this thing!!

I want to thank EVERYONE who helped me out on this. Everyone had a part in getting this thing running, and I want to thank you all. Everyone who read this, and posted ideas, no matter how far out there it might have been, I thank you. I am looking forward to finally washing it properly, and posting pics for everyone to see it!!
Thanks again everyone!!!

81 - 98 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.