Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Selling my 91 Dodge Shadow ES. One owner, bought it new 30 years ago in April. Rusty on the bottom and can't pass the annual inspection required by People's Republic of Pennsylvania. (I'm located between Erie and Pittsburgh and never had a garage). Needs sway bar bushings. This is a 2-door coupe with 2.5 liter, turbocharged, with nice 5-speed manual transmission. Mileage is around 113000 to 114000 miles. The odometer gears both broke, and I replaced them, so only 112,300 shows on the cluster. Moonroof, electric mirrors, manual windows, cruise. Non-smoker. Nice gray interior, except the ceiling fabric has detached and fallen apart. Single disk AM/FM/CD with after-market speakers. Never really used the AC, so I guess the refrigerant leaked out. 2 extra tires. Paint is pretty bad and the bottom is rusty. However, it still runs and the engine has lots of pep. I'm too old to be lying under this car in the driveway any longer, so I'm planning to sell. $900 or make an offer. I have lots of photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Seems like a pretty reasonable price for what it is. You did a great job when ordering/purchasing the car. Lots of great options on the car. 30 years old is far better than average for a lifespan of a car. Sounds like you got your monies worth. Good job keeping it running all these years! Yes as they say, rust never sleeps... It should sell pretty quickly I would think.
I had a white with camel interior 4 dr. 89 ES shadow same story. after 285K on it, the floors got too soft to drive safely.
GLWS.

·
Premium Member
85 New Yorker 2.2 T1, 89 LeBaron Convertible 2.5 T1
137 Posts
We live in Winchester, VA, and I own 13 cars. We have a 91 Daytona, 89 LeBaron, and 85 New Yorker all turbo's, sitting in front of our house. We have three kids and full time jobs. Nevertheless, my wife took a loooooong look at your listing. (I'd like to point out that she did not say no...) 4 L-bodies is right, it should sell pretty fast. I'll start scavenging my pennies now and see if I can grab it first.

I just sold my 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 5-speed, so I'm in her good graces for my car allowance. ;-)

(Edit: Wife says if I sell the LeBaron, I can buy the Shadow. The LeBaron is in the middle of getting re-rebuilt. . .)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, I am impressed with the care you have shown for the car over the 30+ years,. Also, blue is my favorite color!
I agree with "4 L-Bodies" that it was ordered with some great options.
'91 is the last year of turbo-charged Chrysler cars, right?
I always thought it was odd that Chrysler gave up on the turbocharger just when all the problems had been solved. Does the '91 have sequential fuel injection? If only Chrysler had kept producing the turbo cars then we might have gotten some 4-valve per cylinder cars straight from the factory like the Dodge Neon (SRT-4) (and the Spirit R/T). I have had a few P-cars over the years, but my favorite has always been the H-body cars. I still have my first turbo, the '85 LeBaron GTS, known as the "Talkin' Turbo", the '86 Dodge Lancer, aka the Black Knight, the '88 Lancer 2.2 turbo known as "the Automatik", and the '89 Dodge Lancer 2.5 Turbo, known as "Ivanhoe" or the "White Knight." K-cars Forever!
I tried a more "modern" car, and the 2003 VW Passat w/ 1.8T, and, altho it was comfortable, it was a huge disappointment. I decided that it was not engineered to be fixed, more like "throw it away when it wears out". (planned obsolescence?) and repairs were too expensive. If I had my druthers, Give me a good old Chrysler turbo any day..

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
That's what led me back from the Nissan 3.5's to the old Chrysler turbo cars. Not only are they FAR easier to repair, but they're also extremely flexible.

The Nissan 3.5 is what it is. At 250 to 300 HP, it's very impressive, but it's also usually only found on heavier vehicles. A 200 HP Lancer certainly has a better power-to-weight ratio than a Maxima! What's more, it's amazing how much you can do to these cars. People are putting Neon heads on 2.5 blocks, replacing Mitsubishi turbo's with Garrett and even Cummins turbos, adding injectors, swapping intakes between generations, going distributorless, adding intercoolers, swapping cam sprockets for infinite variability, removing balance shafts, and so on. There's even a bolt-on rear-wheel-drive kit made by Mopar! Could any of this stuff be done on a Nissan 3.5? Pfft! Now, the VW aftermarket is there, but IMO the Shelby Dodge market is far more extensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Shadow served me well over the years. It had a number of defects right out of the factory. The windshield leaked water, the computer and/or 02 sensor had a fault that would cause the engine to totally bog down after driving about 15 minutes, the air conditioning quit, there were numerous paint defects, the Infinity cassette player quit, the heat/vent control had a ghost in it, and the pentagon hubcaps had to be missing something, since they clunked and rattled from day 1 until they fell off one by one. Anyway, once all of the problems were fixed, it has been very reliable. Went 110 at only 2/3 throttle down the highway one time. OK, it was downhill, but who cares? I liked the turbo power being available while still getting 34 MPG on the highway- whatever I wanted. I never understood why it was officially rated at 20/26 when I got probably 30/34 all the time. It could go 450 miles on a tank of gas in the right conditions. I liked the handling, and it was good on snow and ice, which it unfortunately had to suffer for 29 of the 30 years I've had it. Blue's my favorite color, too, and it took me a long time to finally decide on this car after considering a lot of others. Then it was either red or blue, and blue won. No longer Electric Blue, it's now Krylon Blue. I've had this car everywhere from Bremerton, WA, where it was parked next to the USS Midway after it returned from Japan, to San Diego, Golden Gate Bridge, Grand Canyon, some creepy state forest in AZ or NM where I heard a blood-curdling screen in the middle of the night- boy, I packed up the tent and got out of there fast! Across Texas in the worst thunderstorm ever, Pensacola Naval Air Station, Andrews AFB, a couple of other bases, Cape Cod, Niagara Falls, The Big House in Ann Arbor, dummy left the windows down at Niagara falls one day and came back to find all my stuff inside untouched! Lots of snowy places in PA, driving Rte 322 in a blizzard one night by turning off the lights and aiming the toward the dark part of the sky where there no trees, back out west a couple of more times, Indy, the Ozarks, The Big Texan in Amarillo (no, I didn't try the $50 steak dinner), Rocky Mountains, more deserts, Death Valley, and it's one of the few privately-owned cars that's been inside the gate at the Tonopah Test Range in Nevada. I would say that means it's been closer to Area 51 than any car east of the Mississippi River. Just about anywhere I've been in the USA, the Shadow has been with me. Bunch of pretty girls have occupied the passenger seat. Oh, there are so many memories, I ought to write a book. I hate to give it up, but I also hate to think it rusts away into oblivion. I'm getting verklempt like Linda Richman now. Talk amongst yourselves...

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Is it still for sale? Have you had other interest? I'm still interested, but I'm still working as fast as possible on getting two other vehicles out from in front of my house.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey,Rusty,
I agree,
it is hard to part with fond memories.
Pardon me while I reminisce--
It is always great to remember the good old days and Dodge Turbo cars.
Truth be told, not many girls sat in my ride, an old LeBaron 'vert, but I got a lot of smiles. going downhill the digital dash read-out would say 65 m.p.g!
Of course, around town with the turbo on, it would say about 9 mpg. It was a red LeBaron Convertible,
and I had just turned 40 and was recently divorced,
but I would smile at the girls, and they smiled back!
It was all in the image!
I was happy. I loved that car!
However,
I dared not raise the top, it was covered in old duct tape.
O, the memories!
Still, the time comes when one must move on with life.
I wish you well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a story like that, I'm really sad to hear you're letting her go. If you have any pics of said pretty girls with the car, we love that stuff!😁
It's tough, but I just can't let my Shadow sit and fall apart and eventually get towed to a scrapyard. Here's a good story- I was on my way to a buddy's wedding in Cape Cod the weekend of OJ's infamous Blazer ride in LA. I had put a note on the ride board at the local U the week before, since there were a few empty seats available. So, luck would have it that there were 3 hotties with me on this drive. Life can be tough sometimes. Within 50 miles after departing, there was a mishap up ahead, and we came to a complete standstill for a couple of hours. It was warm, so we got out of the car to relax and stretch in our tees and shorts. Apparently, there was a National Guard exercise going on, and the convoy was parked behind us. Pretty soon it seemed like half the regiment had walked up and surrounded the car to admire the scenery. All that was needed was a bottle of Dos Equis, and I would have been a contender for being The Most Interesting Man In The World. I just wore a shit-eating grin the whole time, never mentioning the facts to the boys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Shadow has been sold. As it turned out, the car was not as bad as I had been led to believe. The buyer really knew his stuff and decided it was OK to drive 4 hours home. He later said it ran just fine. While I'm sad to part with my trusted and rusted old friend, I'm glad this car went to a good home. There's an empty space in my driveway, so I suppose this is appropriate now:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, I am fighting rust all the time. I bought a product called KrudKutter that turns rust into harmless and stable
metal. I used it on my '91 Dakota and my '89 Lancer Shelby as a paint prep. It was much cheaper than the products from Eastwood.
I am glad to find out that the car went to someone who will take good care of it
I am Here in Oregon, where we had salt free streets for many years despite the rain (not as big a problem since climate change has dried us up, now the fear is forest fire)
until a whole lot of people moved here from States where salting the roads was commonplace. now, even here they are starting to salt the roads in winter, which really sucks for environmentalists and car enthusiasts..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts