Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does an (1989 Caravan 2.5 TBI 413 transmission) have a pin on the SMEC to hook up the torque converter unlock selonoid ground? Does anyone have a computer pin out on this model? Installing a lock up trans from a 91 with lock up to the 89 without lock up.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
You will have to add a pin for the lockup relay to the SMEC on a 89 for the ground . I will try find the correct pinout dor a 89 smec. It looks to be pin 55 on 1989 smec. But I'm not sure. Maybe someone else can verify.

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
Pin 55 is "Shift Indicator Light Output", see below link

1989 TBI SMEC PINOUT

I don't see anything for a lockup relay for the SMEC's

Remember, 1990-up computers are SBEC's, not SMEC's

The 1990-1994 TBI SBEC does have a pin for this, Pin 54 = Power transfer unit (PTU) unlock output see below link

1990-1994 TBI SBEC PINOUT

1990-up SBEC's will not work in your 89, it would require a complete harness swap and re-wire, as the SBEC's use a BUS system to communicate, where the SMEC's are old school voltage reference

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found an 89 spirit out back that has smec controller (2 connectors) and has torque converter lock up in transmission so where does it connect to? It's probably one of the not used pins on the diagram, but which one?

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
Well after doing some forum browsing it seems most likely Pin 55 may be for this, there are a few posts vaguely on this, but mostly for the 90-up SBEC cars. Instead of the shift indicator (for the 5-speed vehicles). This pin should in theory should short to ground when "activated" and is not powered.

If you have quick access to that 89 Spirit you could probe the wire off the transmission to the SMEC connector and check pin 55 with a multimeter. Unless it has a relay in between there somewhere of coarse - i'm really not familiar with the automatics

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after doing some forum browsing it seems most likely Pin 55 may be for this, there are a few posts vaguely on this, but mostly for the 90-up SBEC cars. Instead of the shift indicator (for the 5-speed vehicles). This pin should in theory should short to ground when "activated" and is not powered.

If you have quick access to that 89 Spirit you could probe the wire off the transmission to the SMEC connector and check pin 55 with a multimeter. Unless it has a relay in between there somewhere of coarse - i'm really not familiar with the automatics
Thanks' I will do a continuity test on pin 55 to the transmission connector for the unlock solenoid connector.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 89 doesn't have a wire for the lockup in the harness. It has to be added for a lockup trans to work. I think a relay is used to activate the solenoid and the smec grounds the relay. Autozone has a wiring diagram for a 89 spirit in its repair hekp section. It shows pinn 55 is for lockup. It doesn't show a relay.

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
By the looks of that there should be two wires in a plug going to the transmission (is that ture, I read it was a single wire - which would be mega confusing), one to the +12V dark blue which can be tapped into on the right fender (or the easy way, stick a spade connector into the correct pin on the diagnostic plug), and then the grounding wire, dark orange, from pin 55 on the SMEC. Ignore what I said in my last post, a solenoid shouldn't need the addition of a relay in theory to work, because it is a relay.

·
Premium Member
4,341 Posts
I put a lockup trans in My Laser and I just wired the lockup to a toggle switch. One side 12volt to trans. other side orange wire to ground. It didn;t do much if anything for gas mileage or lockup on the highway,, I finally took it out and saw no difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts