Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I should probably start with an introduction - I've come across this site quite a few times in my search for info and parts for my '91 Shadow. Now it probably doesn't even rank compared to the many other turbo Dodges discussed on this forum, but its my pride and joy - not to mention that the Dodge Gods smile upon every one of their creations, big and small, stalking this earth. Anyway, I've had some problems concerning the turbo on my car, which is why I decided to finally register here.

So the story goes something like this (you can skip this paragraph if you wish). I (living near Toronto, Ontario) bought my Shadow (situated near Vancouver, BC) and had it shipped here via rail (probably through VIA Rail, who knows). I knew I wanted a Shadow with either the V6 or turbo, but every one I checked out was rusted to hell and had some major issues with them. Since there is no salt in Vancouver, I figured that the Shadows down there were more or less rust-free, and I was right.

Now the owner was an honest sounding man, and he assured me that the turbo was in working condition. However, when it arrived, the turbo was more dead weight than anything. The thing is, the gauge works (it shows the vaccuum 'sucking' - I might be the most mechanically inept guy you'll meet, so forgive my ignorance with vocabulary/ competency), but it never crosses over to the 'boost' side, which I believe must be a bad thing. So I may be a bit naive, but I think that the turbo may have been working when it was in his possession, and perhaps it died sometime between him dropping it off at the yard in Vancouver and me picking it up near Toronto (idiots working at the yard? The bumpy train ride? Er, the temperature change (it was a particularly brisk winter)? :confused:

Anyway, the specifics. While I accelerate, there is a whistling (between a whistle and a hiss - like air escaping) sound. As the RPMs increase, the whistling becomes higher pitched until it switches gears (auto - I know) and then it starts to raise once again in each gear up. But like I mentioned already, the gauge never shows a successful boost.

So now for the questions.

What does it sound like the problem is? What else could it be? Could I fix it myself - with some help from a parent and/ or guardian? Where could I take my Shadow to get the turbo repaired, a local dealership-slash-mechanic? Is there a reputable place in the GTA that you would suggest (I live in Mississauga)? How much would that cost? Ouch. Would it be more budget-friendly to just find a working turbo and buy it and somehow attach it in a manor in which it would work (have a licenced mechanic do all the work)?

Oh and some answers.

It's a 1991 Dodge Shadow Turbo Convertible. It has a 2.5 L4 engine, there are no modifications to the car other than some wonky transmission 'repairs' (done by a previous owner) which is a whole 'nother headache. I don't know the specs on the turbo, I apologize. The car has about 240,000 kms on it (~149,000 miles). Just let me know if you need any more info.

That should be it... Thanks in advance for your replies, I'm hoping to get this little giant moving, the 2.5 L4 is not exactly a 'mover' without a working turbo, Im sure. I know if there is a group of guys who own turbo dodges and know enough to help me fix mine, Id find them here :thumb:

· Registered
1,157 Posts
Welcome to the fun world of TD's! I cant express more to read up on these wonderful cars as thats how to figure out whats wrong with them (alot, and OFTEN LOL) It sounds like your wastegate rod is disconnected on the turbo or your intake tube is off. Give the rubber tube on the throttle body (the big 2 inch tube next to the head) a pull and see if both sides are connected well. They have a couple hose clamps on either side that over time can loosen or fail/rust. If its not that then you need to check your wastegate rod. do a search on here and im sure you will find some better pics/info to find it. Also read thedodgegarage.com for tips and tricks for repairing and going faster! happy boosting!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, those were some quick responses :eek:

I'll be sure to check those problem-areas mentoned, hopefully it just needs a quick fix!

Still, keep those responses coming! With my luck I'll need all the help I can get!

· Administrator
26,455 Posts
Welcome aboard.
Check all the hoses to the Turbo and to the Throttle Body carefully, even a small crack will cause boost to vent to the atmosphere. When I had my head off the first time my Son reassembled the motor and when he put the hose on the turbo it rolled under on the bottom side and got clamped that way, you could hear the turbo spool but no boost so do not take anything for granted, physically check.

· Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
WELCOME!
91 shadow convert turbo sounds like fun.
Definitely take these guys advice and check all hoses.
Had the same issue on my lebaron convert.
It was just a matter of the hose to the turbo from the air box being off and a couple of vacuum leaks. Had very little to no boost.
Good luck and tell us how it turns out =)

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help and welcomes!

I haven't had the chance to take a look under the hood yet, hopefully tomorrow morning I can check it out.

And it is a fun car, surprisingly it gets a lot of looks - it could use a paintjob though, it definitely shows it's age. If I can rack up a few more posts, Ill post it's cardomain page for anyone who's interested :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.