Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well still having electrical issues. I put a used computer on the car and a used alt and that solved most of my issues but now no running lights or dash lights. I know for sure they worked before and have tried another gauge cluster but still nothing. I have gone thru every fuse under the dash and hood and all are good. I like this car but damn it can be the most frustrating car. Any help much appreciated.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Remove the cluster and find out if one of your power sources is missing or a ground and then we can trace that circuit back to its source which in this case is probably the headlamp switch.
Be sure none of the terminals in the switch pod got damaged/spread when you removed the the pod to remove the cluster.

All you will need is a digital multimeter.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Need to know, all parking lamps, front side markers, tag lamp and taillamps are inop?
Only cluster lights are out or are the radio and HVAC control lamps also out?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lets see front and back parking lights do not work. All the brake lights and turn signals work. Headlights work. Iam getting no dash lights or lights in the switch pods. None in the hvac switches. The radio is missing and the person cut the plug off the wires to the radio. I do get the brake on light, high beam light and check engine light. I did get a door ajar light on the pod in front of the passenger for a brief moment.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Start by verifing power is present in and out of fuse #8(20 amp) with the parking lamps on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No voltage at that fuse. All the turns work but no running lights and the dinger for the headlights on isnt working.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Power to Fuse # 8 comes from the Park Lamp Relay.
Power to the relay comes from Fuse #10, PK/RD wires (2)
The headlamp switch controls the ground side of the relay, PK/DB wire
The output to the park lamps and Fuse #8 is on the BK/YL wire.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking at the wiring diagram and noticed that fuse 8 also goes to the headlight dimmer module. Thanks for the help because I couldnt figure out where the power came from or any of the grounds. Its a little wet outside today so when I get a chance I will check everything..............Matthew

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well finally got a chance to look at the car and I cannot find where the parklight relay is. I checked the relay panel behind the fuse panel and nothing. I looked at the one under the hood and nothing. I am getting power at the parklight fuse under the hood. So its got to be the parklight relay if I just just find it. I tried to trace the black and yellow wire but its all wrapped up

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'll be dipped in horse manure. Found the relay and tried another in it place and shazzam. Back on the road again. Thanks Naj for all the help.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Always look at fuses and relays first with any problem it can avoid alot of headache!!! Learned that first hand in Automotive Electrical class!!! I had a car and I thought it was something else well 2 hours later I looked and it was just a burnt fuse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought the car from MMMADOG a while back. Now I am having the same problem he describes here.

No blown fuses (under dash or hood). Have power to the right side of the 20a fuse block under the dash at all times, no power to the left side. Also have power to the 40a fuse under the hood to one side at all times, power to the other side when either the headlamp or parking lamp switch is on.

This leads me to believe it is the same relay. I found a bank of relays above the driver side kick panel, but they are not labeled. Which one is for the parking/running/tail/dash lights?

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
PM being sent with wiring.
If you have power into a fuse you must have power out.
All relays have 2 power feeds, a ground control and an output.

Power into the park lamp relay comes from fuses #8 and 10, the headlamp switch controls the ground side of the relay.

Power to the instrument cluster is from fuse #14, fuse #20 and the ignition switch.
Illumination is controlled by the dimmer module.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the schematics. They will be a huge help. Still looking for something that tells me which relays are which. The ones under the hood are labeled, but I can't find any identification on the relays on the driver side kick panel. I'm assuming that is where the parking lamp and cluster lamp relays are, because I can't find a relay bank anywhere else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did more troubleshooting today. All fuses are good. Swapped the parking light relay with one known to work. Still no running or instrument lights. Pulled the switch pod off. No obvious problems, but now turn signals only work if I put pressure on the pod.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm guessing bad ground in the connector, but I've already tried cleaning them with white vinegar.

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
Connection issues are common with the switches in the switch pod and the instrument cluster harness.
The issue is usually that the female terminals spread and do not make proper contact.

What is missing at the park lamp relay?
If both power sources are present backprobe the ground and use a jumper wire to ground and see if the park lamps come on.

Also you stated all fuses were good, so you have power in and out?
Is power present to the cluster illumination cavities with the lights turned on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts