Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Know I have been away and neglected my 92 Dodge Spirit R/T TIII. Been sitting for years now and trying to get it running and back on the road. Will try to make this short and hopefully provide enough info. A rat has been living in the engine compartment despite poison and traps. Has nibbled on some wires but didn't break any(except the cam sensor) and I taped them to keep them from shorting (Will go back and repair them). Dang thing did break 2 out of the 3 wires on the cam shaft sensor but soldered/repaired them.

Drained the fuel tanks as much as I could, put new gas in and re-primed the system. Key on can hear the fuel pump and get 60'ish PSI.

When test cranking the rat got crushed by the timing/belt. Rat removed and cleaned out the left overs. Tried cranking and stumbled for a second but no start. Code 54. Did unhook the battery and wait a little bit and tried again but same thing. I have similar cam sensor that would need a custom mount, but I held it by hand wile my mom cranked the car and still no luck?

Code 54
I am guessing that could be due to Cam or Crank sensor? Is there a way to test the sensors off the vehicle?
If the rat caused the timing to go off by a few teeth would that cause a code 54?
I do have the Powertrain Diagnostic Manual for the car but says you need a DRBII tool, ebay now shows what looks to be complete with the right cartridge at $400+

Oh not sure if it is related but the trip/message center didn't turn on (no display) not sure if it could be related and didn't have time to check fuses and such?

Car is still at my parents so should be going back to try again in a couple weeks. Was going to change the t-belt and double check timing. But looking to have a good plan of attack when I go back and would appreciate any help/in-site/suggestions to hopefully avoid wasting time and money would be nice!

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, used your pic plus my 1992 Power-train Diagnostic Manual and tried to test the Camshaft sensor. Still not sure if it is good or bad? The manual states that the sensor gets 9V supplied but didn't say what the output of the sensor should be? On my suspect cam sensor it showed 0 volts with no ferrous metal in front of it, & with metal its .05v? I have 2 PC59 sensors that have the same 3 wire connector and they show 0v no metal and .01v with? Using a small 9v battery to supply voltage (9v-8.5v).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Best to check to see if the Crank sensor is still connected or if the rat ate through the wires on it also. The Crank sensor it is located on the transmission case and reads off of the clutch pressure plate.

Also the Cam sensor needs to have .035 gap from the face of the CAM sprocket . You have to use a feeler gauge to locate and lock down the Cam sensor properly. If you don't have proper gap between the cam sensor and the cam sprocket the engine won't start. Also check the female side of cam sensor connector to make sure the contact is not sprung open. Use dielectric grease or Vaseline on contacts to ensure you have good contact.

Ron

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spent 6 or so hours on this last Friday (05/29/20).

Crank Sensor: Took off the throttle body to get to the crank sensor. Was plugged in, wires look intact. Wiped it off and did bring it back with me for testing?

Timing/Belt: Pulled the old belt and re-set timing. Might have been off due to the rat getting in between the belt/gears, plus there was a bunch of junk the rat had crammed in there too. It's been like 10 years since I last did the timing belt and have the 92 manuals for the car but having difficult getting the belt on properly with out having too much slack around the crank/intermediate/right cam pulley area? Using new belt. Did some searching but is there a step by step out there that may help me or a video? Would be nice to get the timing done next time so I can try and fire it up. With the timing belt work didn't get a chance to check out the cam/crank sensors.

Accessory belt system question, for the Idler & tension pulleys they both look to be part #4536173 which crosses over to some aftermarket, is that correct? Both pulleys have some bearing noise when I spin them by hand.

Other things on my to do list:
Coolant system: T-stat, hoses, coolant, possibly water pump, belt and possibly new pulleys.
Brake system: Re-bleed the system(new fluid), possibly replace the master cylinder, inspect the hoses and cables (have all new hoses and cable if needed).
Power steering: swap fluid and inspect for leaks when I get it running.
Check the elec. system and find out why the traveler isn't turning on?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts