·
Administrator
24,882 Posts
Run Test NS-5B Repairing Fault "Ignition Control Circuit"

·
Registered
12 Posts
So spent some time today and still no luck:

Spark: Tested for spark and first wasn't getting spark on #1 (using adjustable spark tool) . Stopped there and checked wire checked coil connector. Using the diagnostic manual checked resistance at the 3 wire connector on coil, both at .8 so that should be good. Had my brother cranking the car and all 3 wires to the coil at the connector jump to 11-12v while cranking. I got a new neon coil and made up an adapter harness. Verified that the adapter was wired correctly and tried it. Still no spark. Unhooked the SBEC 60 way connector and tested continuity/resistance on the 2 coil wires 17 & 19 both test less that 1 ohm (tired 2 different multi meters). Sprayed elec contact cleaner on the 60 way and SBEC. Followed the wires back to the 2 10 way connectors behind the battery and spray cleaned them too. Wiggled wires while testing continuity/resistance and no change. Hooked the original coil back up spark on 1 & 4 but no on 2&3. Check wires again, still good, check voltage at coil connector while cranking and still jumps to 11-12v on all 3 wires. Hook the neon coil back up and pretty sure for a short while I got spark off 1,2&4 for a short time but no on 3. Tried different plug wire but no. While verifying I still had spark on 1,2 & 4 , #2 was no longer showing spark. Put the original coil on and still just 1&4. Only 2 things I can think of that could be wrong is some how the connector for 2&3 isn't making good contact when in the coil (or coils) did spray it and light amount of new dielectric. Or computer is bad, which to me doesn't make sense as I get voltage from that wire while cranking?

Fuel: Using a noid light verified light blinks at each injector

MAP Sensor: Using my OBD1 scanner showed that while cranking the voltage does vary every so slightly while cranking (something like 2.12 to 2.14v)

O2 sensor wiring: Did look it over. Did a reroute years back and the wires still look good. Believe the OBD1 was showing .6v (not sure if that's good or bad?)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Run Test NS-5B Repairing Fault "Ignition Control Circuit"
Will run this next trip to the car, will also scrutinize the cam/crank sensors and wiring in an attempt to rule them out?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Okay was able to spend a little time with the car yester day. no real progress:
FYI, this time I used 2 multi-meters which I did get slightly different readings
Meter 1 (the one I have used in the past) Southwire 12070T TrueRMS auto ranging
Meter 2 walmart cheapy Etek 10709

This was done with the 92 original computer

NS-5B test:
Resistance Pins 1&3 Meter 1: 1.2ohms Meter 2: 0.7-0.8ohms Books says 1.0ohm and above replace coil
Resistance Pins 2&3 Meter 1: 1.2ohms Meter 2: 0.7-0.8ohms Books says 1.0ohm and above replace coil
(Ordered up a new mopar coil which will be in in about 2 weeks, but did try a 3.3l v6 coil that uses the same connector and still no spark on 1&4 but sparks in test mode)

Actuate fuel system DG/OR wire Meter 1:12.03v Meter 2:11.96v Book says above 10v move to next page
Voltage on BK/GY wire Meter 1:12.0v Meter 2:11.97v
Voltage on DB/YL wire Meter 1:12.03v Meter 2:11.98v
(Voltage variation between wires might be due to battery drain or I have a low amp charger on while doing these tests)
Book says after DB/YL if above 10v replace coil! Again have tried multiple coils and still get no spark on 1&4 while cranking?

Did do some of test NS-9E (according to my notes)
Orange wire @ Cam sensor harness connector with ignition on Meter 1: 9.1-9.5v Meter 2: 9.1v
Orange wire @ Crank sensor harness connector with ignition on Meter 1: 9.13v Meter 2: 9.1v

Test NS-5A
Got 12v on the DG/OR wire, but question I checked the continuity of the wire from the 6 way connector to the ignition connector and looked good (if I remember right got 1 ohm resistance) also check those 2 connectors to the ASD relay connector and same good continuity with 1 ohm resistance. (this is with the system powered off but computer still connected) Is that good?
Also checked the DG/OR wire for continuity to ground and got 53.9kohms does this indicate anything???

Up coming:
Again have a new Mopar coil ordered that should be on the way soon!
DRBII, went ahead and got one off of eBay, so provided its a working unit and it either comes with the right cable or i can make something work I should be able to (hopefully soon) be able to run the tests exactly as the books shows it (1992 Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures 2.2 Turbo III)!

Thoughts on my multi-meters?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts