Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I took my 1992 Dodge spirit with the 2.5L (non-turbo) in for emissions testing on Saturday. The guy ran it twice because it failed so marginally the first time...it failed the second time too.

My report says,

HydroCarbons (pass - barely):
Reading - .7767 grams/mile
Limit - 0.8000 grams/mile

CO (pass):
Reading - 9.4597 grams/mile
Limit - 15.0000 grams/mile

NOx (fail):
Reading - 2.2528 grams/mile
Limit - 2.0000 grams/mile

What do you suggest I replace in order to get my car to pass? I hope to get some responses by mid-week so I can go buy some parts, install them Saturday morning, and take it in for retesting on Saturday too.

Thanks!
-Steve

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i would change the oil, change the air filter, drive the car a good amount before letting them test it. if you sit for a while at the DMV, usually they fail. thats such a marginal thing. if it were higher i would say EGR valve, could change the PCV valve also, but simple things might get it by.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Your CO is a bit high, which is fuel control. HC's are plugs, wires, compression, engine temp and already mentioned, dirty oil.
EGR's constantly fail on these engines, you need to get a vacuum guage, remove the line going from the transducer to the valve and hook the guage up there. Have someone start it and put it into gear. Two foot it lightly and you should see vacuum? if yes, then test your valve. Have the engine idling and use the manifold vac line for the air cleaner hot air door, hook that directly up the valve-the engine should run rough and almost die? if no, the valve is junk or the passage plugged-rare. Go to the dealer and buy a new one, dirt cheap. DO NOT buy aftermarket-JUNK!
Ok, if you didn't get vacuum, check for vacuum before the transducer, at idle, you should get manifold vacuum-yes, replace valve, NO, then trace and you might have a solenoid on the right fenderwell, check for vacuum to that, yes, replace solenoid and retest system. If your tune-up stuff, oil and egr is good, I would replace your oxygen sensor and cat!

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,454 Posts
Simon is right on, the EGR is to reduce NOX. A lean mixture will cause it also, and a too lean mixture can cause high HC if the engine surges or intermittantly misfires. Make sure your timing is dead on, timing off can raise combustion temperatures enough to increase NOX.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great help so far everyone, thanks!

I was planning on replacing the EGR valve and PCV valve. I'll maybe change the oil, air filter, and spark plugs too. Where is the EGR valve on this engine? Is it generally hard to remove? Also, you say "dirt cheap" from the dealer. How much are we talking? And, is it something a dealer normally stocks and I'd be able to walk in and pick one up, or are they an item that needs to be ordered?

I do probably have low compression. My car "uses" a fair amount of oil.

Thanks again!
-Steve

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
Argggggggggggg! :bang head

Make sure it works first before you change it, otherwise you might as well replace everything. If it does or doesn't work, it will point us in the correct direction.
Dealer might stock it, there fairly common. The numbers are on it, that will help speed things up. Its on the passenger side of the intake, next to the tb! They retail for around $80 Canadian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts