Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, guys here's one for you. I have a 93' Daytona (2.5 TBI, a523) and I am having a major battery drain issue. I know its has to be something with the door ajar and dome light? Every time now that I take off either forward or reverse the *Ding Ding* door ajar sound plays and the dome light comes on *sometimes flickers because the cycle repeats itself* I can here a clicking down by the passenger side floorboard. I have no idea what it is or why its doing it, So please help me resolve this problem :bang head. Also I should mention that neither of the door buttons *sensors* work, and the hatch is complete closed but its sensor does work (open hatch - dome light comes on)

·
Registered
522 Posts
sounds like a wire is grounding out or you have a bad ground

i thnk a similar thing happened to one of my 89 daytona's the guy i bought it from for some reason ripped the power wire for the interior light & headlamps out of the connector in the firewall and ran a new wire to the battery. i donno what he was thinking but apparently he had aproblem and like may other things on the car he ass-rigged it.

i bought it from him cause he had "alternator" issues where it wasn't charging & battery kept dieing... shop misdiagnosed it as a bad ECM. i found the problem was in the alternator harness (had corossion on the alternator plug) fixed that and now it charges properly but the battery was still dieing. turns out the wire he ran from that ripped wire straight to the battery was drawing power.

i couldn't figure out why in the time i had cause i needed the car to work while my other was in the shop, nor have i bothered going back to it. but my temporary fix was putting a relay on that wire & wireing it to an acessory in the fuse block so when the car is off the circuit is broken but when i turn my hey on to accessory or run it completes the circut and activates my headlamps & interior lights. but i did try to figure out why for a couple days with no luck..
i found lots of add-on wires under the dash & in the doors, including relays i ended up pulling about 4 relays, 2 cpu boxes ( i think for an alarm & whatnot) and about 2lbs of wires from the car trying my best to repair the stock wiring. either way they relay works good except for when i have my light on for a while if i turn off the car they relay does not re-connect because it is near max voltage and needs to cool down.

i plan on adding a second or stronger relay untill i completely solve the problem. wiring shorts can be a huge pain to track down, so just be patient.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good news I think I fixed the problem... I called the former owner (my brother) and asked him if he knew what the problem was. The first thing he said was " I thought I fixed that", turns out the door sensor the tells you the door is ajar is broken on both sides. However the one on the driver side if connected causes the problem. I unkownlingly hooked it back up a couple of weeks ago thinking that someone just unhooked it because of the noise and light. Well I guess I know what I get for assuming... Thanks for the help Viper9087

·
Registered
522 Posts
lol blame it on the previous owner..... i heard that one before.. lol

your lucky you figured it out so fast :)

those door sensors can usually be replaced by anu auto parts store or you can go to radio shack and use a car alarm hood switch. but the sensor is only meant to ground out the wire going to it. you could probably just clean it up too. good luck

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
These cars have two door "sensors" on each door. I call them switches. One is forward of the door, the other one is aft. The aft switch does not cause the interior lamps to come on, but will cause the "door ajar" light to come on and the chimes will also go ding ding ding, followed by the door automatically locking itself over and over. It is a common problem that I have remedied by simply re-adjusting it unless they are corroded and making poor electrical contact. They are self-adjusting--just pull the "push pin" in the middle of the switch out all the way, and shut the door like you normally would and its done.

The forward switches don't ever seem to be a problem on these cars, but seeing how the doors like to sag at the hinges on these cars, it the possibility can't be ruled out. If your interior lights are coming on with the door shut, this is a problem.

If your battery drain isn't fixed, and you did not install some kind of aftermarket stereo, autostart, alarm, etc, look me up, because I discovered something else that likes to kill batteries in these cars after 3-4 days of sitting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts