Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know theyre quite rare but ive come across a 93 iroc rt with 68k original miles, no scratches in the paint, cracks in the dash etc... car looks like its lived in a garage its whole life... only problem is guy wants 5k firm. wont come down, i love my 3.0 but i woulndt mind a t3 :thumb: is this a deal or what? its a beautiful car and in mint condition, but is it really worth 5k? just figure id ask the experts on t3's... what you you gents do?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Dispite the I shaft failures that supposedly take place and other problems the T3 has (probably as often as 4g63's crankwalk which is hardly ever unless it is a 95) atleast it is not an interference engine which is a wonderful thing. The T3 is always rebuildable from what I understand so it wouldn't be a bad investment.. I would buy it if I had the cash to spare. Reguardless the differences we have had I will give credit to Jackson for making the T3 a reliable engine so any T3 buy that can be made reliable by or directed by Jackson to be built the right way would be a good investment.

S

·
0 Posts
I would buy it, I was looking for one until I got my Z, wish I had the cash because the only R/T I would settle for would be a green one!

·
Registered
180 Posts
If it's the car you want and it's a cream puff i say buy it. You can spend thousands rebuilding a rough car to get it in the same condition. I have a buddy that has spent 18K rebuilding an RX-7, and it's still not done...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd buy it if I were you there were less than 190 of that model made. My husband and I worked for Chrysler, bought a 93 Daytona Iroc in the same color and have less than 7000 miles on it because it is so rare. Good luck

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
It *could* be a good buy. Check the underbody. REALLY check the underbody. And the quarters. 2 places Daytona's LOVE to rust. Is it a sunroof car? Things to check on the car. Look for signs of a coolant leak on the drivers side rear corner of the head. Pull the valley cover and check for noticeable coolant leak in the center of the head. Heads like to crack right in the center where its a thin spot on the head. If it is, it can be taken care of and welded. Listen for valvetrain noise. If he is serious about the 5k price you may even want to pull the valve covers and inspect the cams for any scoring or wiped lobes. Need maintenance history on the car. Timing belt ever been replaced? You may want to be easy on the car if any major maintenance has been done because you will want to check belt tension to make sure you don't have an i-shaft failure. Unlike the 4g63 and crank walk, i-shaft failure is easily taken care of by jackson's idler mod and correct belt tension. If it has some valvetrain noise but the cams look to be in good shape, you can use ti retainers or jackson's modified retainers to help longevity.
The 2 things I would be most concerned about is the condition of the head and upper valvetrain, and the rust. Everything else is either replaceable or easily taken care of with a little time.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i already have a money pit to deal with (3.0 turbo) i love my duster but everytime i see this damn car i get pumped... guy is a friend of the family and has the worlds largets TB graveyard on the planet. this puppy has been garaged though... no rust, no leaks, atleast from a first look over. but hes babbied it for years. just 5 k is stout for a damn near 20 year old car lol... ima try and talk him down. he does 4k its in my driveway for sure!

·
Mr. Moderator
8,905 Posts
t3's leaked from the head from the factory. I would definitely check condition. I have a buddy thats got a t3 car that has 38k on the clock and he was a chrysler exec and has had 3 heads on the car. The factory and the factory replacement. Both leaked. So be weary of that. I say check the timing belt because although the timing belt may have good tension they do get old, the do stress, and the teeth like shred on them. It would be a good idea to check everything out. 4k to drop on a car that can potentially grenade at anytime is never a good day in my book. Although the car might look good, deifnitely give it a VERY good once over. Protect yourself as a buyer so your not disappointed with the buy and also so you don't think these cars are a throw away like most do after many many issues with them.
Q

D

·
0 Posts
no rust and in good shape,i would pick it up for 5K. does it have a sunroof?

L

·
0 Posts
I am very partial to the green Iroc R/Ts. My green one is still my favorite car I own. If this is the car I am thinking I have seen pics of it and it is very clean. I would make sure its not rusty underneath and does in fact run good. I believe it is a sunroof car which makes it quite a bit more rare. There were 90 green ones and 42 had sunroofs so that right there makes it a pretty rare car. There are a few things on TIII that need to be adressed like what some have already said. Once the "upgrades" have been done then they can be driven many miles without any issues. I would say its well worth the 5K if the paint is still nice and its general condition is as good as it looked when I saw it.

BTW thanks KillerTSI for the good words

L

·
0 Posts
I just looked at my VIN list and that car actually came factory with louvers as well. That would make it quite a bit more rare as only 28 came with louvers in 93. The car looks like it was in the MD area most of its life.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seems that the prices are starting to creep upward on these cars and they are not getting any easier to find(nice ones anyways). I had a emerald green '93 IROC R/T(bought it used in '95) and really enjoyed owning/driving that car and the color is beautiful. I agree with everyones advice here, give it a really good look over/test drive, but even at the asking price you wont regret the purchase. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well this isnt anywhere online... its in KY with me. private owner, and like i said has the biggest TD graveyard ever... like 15 t1 12 vnt's couple t3's kinda ridiculous andsome other crap. but this is the cream of his crop. he originally wasnt going to sell it. but like i said him and my father are close friends and he wants to dump money into his boat. and absolutly loves the fact im 22 years old and into the shit he was into when he was my age. big fan of my turbo 3.0 so i doubt if anyone else approached him he'd sell it anyway. but damn 1 of 42 lol... its really burning a hole in my pocket right now :p

L

·
0 Posts
O I thought it was the one in PA that is for sale. Sounds like its almost the same car and the same asking price. My bad.

If you PM me the VIN I can tell you a little more about it and maybe how rare it is....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts