Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 93 Plymouth Grand Voyager with the 3.3L motor and I'd like to swap it out. I don't know what I'd like to do with it though. Get a stock 2.4L out of a Caravan and eventually upgrade its internals then turbo it. Build up a 2.5L with 2.2L turbo II components and bolt an A523 5 speed tranny to it. Or get the srt4 motor and tranny. Any suggestions? Also, can I run the new motor's wiring harness and hook up a different ECU so it can run? Go easy on me since I'm just starting out on turbos :Noob:

If you're wondering why a minivan, I'm handicap and vans are pretty much my only form of transportation. I can get a 2nd gen Scion xB converted for me and just install a bolt on turbo kit. I'm sure modifying the Voyager won't cost $35,000 like the Scion would. :thumb:

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
If you're handicapped, I imagine you want to stay automatic? So that rules out using the SRT4 transmission. Could use a turbo PT 4 speed ATX, but I'd recommend the good old reliable torqueflite 3 speed. Start with one from a Neon, use a turbo torque converter, have someone good with TD automatics build the clutchpacks and assemble it for you.
As for electronics.. The instrument cluster in a '93 is driven off the CCD bus.. So getting it to work with old TD electronics is probably a lost cause.. If you go with a 3 speed, and run SRT4 electronics, you could run an SRT4 instrument cluster. It'd take some fabrication to get it in there, but it'd look sweet. There's a guy here selling a woody wagon with a full SRT4 swap in it. It's got the SRT4 cluster in the stock dash, looks like it belongs there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I wouldn't be driving it.. It sucks but I'm just working with what I have. Hopefully somebody will invent something so quadriplegics can drive (even if it were just for the track). That must have been a major headache getting that whole dash in there so nicely. So with that being said, you'd recommend me getting the srt4 motor and tranny? If so, then I should try getting the wiring harness, ECU and instrument cluster right?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts