Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was cutting out some aftermarket piece of crap alarm, that had completely killed the battery down to zero power. I put it on the jump box. They had spliced the alarm into the clutch pedal switch. I rewired it and went to turn over the engine. I kept smelling a funny burning smell, and the fuel pump would not come on, when I attempted to start the car. I then realized the pcm was fried and smelled burnt.....Is this a common thing with these cars? I see the pcm new is like 650.00. I dont want to install a new one and fry it again. Think the low voltage took it out? Any ideas? They had also jumped in the alarm over top of the pass kick panel buzzer box. I assume that was the door/lock wiring???

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
wow sounds like you had some alarm installed there, i removed an aftermarket alarm and fuel cut off switch and didnt have nearly as much trouble.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Is the "buzzer box" you are talking about go right behind the glove box? If so, thats the factory alarm box. I am amazed it they wired it in with that. :eek:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no its the box in the passenger kickwell, not wired into it but in a harness right above it....I did not see a fuel cutoff switch when I removed the alarm, and thats the problem I am having...where would this be located? Thanks

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
i found a fuel cut wired into the underhood fuse box and the original fuel pump wiring was cut and i had to reconnect and check. my alarm that was wired in i found under the dash hooked into the wiring on the column. the computer you are tallking about is the accessories computer(body computer BCM) thats in the kick panel. good thing is thats its the same as any daytona in 92 and 93. bad thing is you need that to run the car, but it mostly doesnt do anything related to the motor. the sbec under the hood does that stuff. get the fsm

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not see any alarm wiring up front near the relay box, and that box in the kick panel is ok, just some wiring was jumped into a harness above it. Maybe thats where the fuel cut was wired in, but I know for sure the ecm is smoked, it smells like smoke. The car has been sitting, maybe the ecm and the alarm being taken out is not related.....I have always seen alarms jumped in under the column, this one is a mystery? Maybe the new ecm will turn on the fuel pump again.....I think I fried the unit trying to turn over the engine, with a drained battery and a jump box that kept arching, because of a loose battery terminal......

L

·
0 Posts
If nothing else one of us nice folks on here can throw that SBEC in one of our R/Ts and see if you did in fact fry it.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
If he was closer to me, I would love to see if it was it. Only because Jackson has a theory about the 93 computers. :D

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
so whats smoking, the computer on driver side under the hood or the comuter in the kick panel on the passenger side?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the computer under the hood on the drivers side next to the battery. It smells like it is burnt up, and that jelly stuff is dark looking. I could hear it buzzing and frying as well........

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can this pcm be bought at Napa or someplace like that? Can you get ahold of that used unit? Thanks

L

·
0 Posts
I know a guy that has a used 92 if you need one. Not quite as good as the 93 but the difference is so small I doubt you will notice. LMK if you are interested.....

·
Registered
448 Posts
can this pcm be bought at Napa or someplace like that? Can you get ahold of that used unit? Thanks

Shawn,

A1 Cardone acan reman your computer, but you will have to send them yours as R/T brains aren't exactly common place, ya know.

http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/Products/ELECTRONICS/cardone ecm express ad.pdf

By the way, who out bid me on the r/t fender medalions on ebay. Some luckey bastard got a hellofa deal for $31

eBay Motors: Dodge Shelby IROC Daytona Emblems-New-N/R! (item 150182068380 end time Nov-16-07 21:14:02 PST)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep I just paid almost 100.00 for my side emblems.....how can I get cardone to rebuild my unit? I signed up on the website, but cant figure it out? I put in a fresh battery today and plugged the pcm back in, I even tried jumping relays, but still no fuel pump. I hope that this pcm is the problem, it smells smokey and burnt. I hope that cutting out the alarm and this problem, are not related.......

L

·
0 Posts
Price? Thanks
Actually,I talked to that buddy of mine and he has a few brand new 93 TIII SBECs in the original Mopar boxes! He said he would like 400 each for them. Sounds like alot but not really for a NEW one that I would guess you will not be able to find anywhere else. PM me if interested......

·
Registered
448 Posts
yep I just paid almost 100.00 for my side emblems.....how can I get cardone to rebuild my unit? I signed up on the website, but cant figure it out? I put in a fresh battery today and plugged the pcm back in, I even tried jumping relays, but still no fuel pump. I hope that this pcm is the problem, it smells smokey and burnt. I hope that cutting out the alarm and this problem, are not related.......
click the contact tab on the top, then click customer service tab and fill out your info. someone should be able to take it from there

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sent off the pcm...it was not rebuildable.....smoked for sure......I sent a pm about the new ones your friend has......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts