Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I hope someone can shed some light on this, I have a 94 caravan 3.0 4 speed automatic. started the van the other day and when i pulled out when it hit 24 mph it slipped and wouldn't go foreward, i pulled over shut the van of and tried again it did the same thing again. as soon as it shifs into second it stops going i have reverse at all times, now when it does this I can put the trans in neutral and back to drive and i can feel the axiles engage put not go anywhere only when i restart will it move till it shifts into 2 nd. i droped the pan there was no shavings in it fluid was clear. It has 109,000 on it anyone have any ideas, i live out in the country and having it towed to a shop to get the codes will cost a small fortune. Does any one know how to test the speed sensors thie speedomader still moves so i can rule out the output sensor. Thank you for any help you can throw my way

Ps it started making a ticking sound from the trans that increases in speed with the rpms of the engine. sounds like it's between the motor and the trans

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi
find a friend with a trailer or give the local car nut a few bucks to take it to have it anilized ,
OR go to autozone / ect and have them scan it for free ,
or turn the ignition key on- off- on- off- on - count the dash light flashes to get the codes and report back here !

check your fluid level and color and smell first on the level engine running !

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
hi
find a friend with a trailer or give the local car nut a few bucks to take it to have it anilized ,
OR go to autozone / ect and have them scan it for free ,
or turn the ignition key on- off- on- off- on - count the dash light flashes to get the codes and report back here !

check your fluid level and color and smell first on the level engine running !
your recommendation does NOT work for transmission. absolutely NO trans info comes thru the check engine light on non-obdII. Autozone does not scan trans info on non-obdII cars. the 604 data link is not under the hood, it's by the interior fuse box. A cheapie snapon MT2500 will work and everyone the tries to be a mech should have one for just this type of situation.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
+1 on hard part broken. If it was a hard fail in the EATX, 2nd would be the only FWD gear available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hey guys made arrangements to put it on a trailer and take it to the trans shop, they said they'll scan for codes, as soon as i get them i'll post the results and we can go from there

ps the ticking sound went away

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The ticking noise was probably the engine's lash adjusters. 3.0 engines love to do this. Thats no big deal.

You could just drive it in 1st gear all the way somewhere if you keep it slow. The 460TE or whatever trans in my GM product crapped out on me in Madison, 300 miles from home. Repair shop wanted $2134 to put a USED transmission in. I was thinking of driving it home slipping like a mo fo. Amazingly, I figured out that if I could get to about 50 mph in 2nd gear (usually with the help of going downhill) I could let off the gas, shift it to overdrive, and once there, I had good, solid enguagement and drove all the way home like that. Sounds like the transmission's pump is whining like a beotch. No burnt fluid smell, good color to it. Gonna tear into it today.
F'ing General Motors crap. 2nd one this year alone that left me stranded far from home.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts