Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car started life as a 3.0 v6 a604 auto trans car. The previous owner blew a hole in the trans case from the dif gears, however it still moved it you put fluid in it. Therefor they decided it should be destroyed so they put fluid in it and ramped it over a dump truck load of gravel and rolled the car, then took a baseball bat to the entire car breaking off mirrors and denting the bulge hood etc, also they rammed it with a 4 wheeler a few times. They also tried to blow it up by putting a brink on the gas pedal for a long period of time however were unsuccessful. This is where I came in and got the car for free. I put a a543 5speed in it and daily drove it for about 3 years. Then the rear cross member frame part fell off and the trailing axle moved all over the place, causing my tire sidewalls to get cut up by the wheel well lips. I parked the car at this point. Then one day I decided to turn it into a race car. So we removed the broken frame pieces and welded in some new metal and made it solid again. Then we welded some brackets inside the car to hold the seat from falling through the non-existing floor, and added a piece cut out from a hood for the drivers floor pan. At this point it was time to strip it down and lighten it up and get it ready for paint. See the pics and let me know what you guys think. The first time at the track it won a few events. In certain ones the car was un-touchable. I love my P-Body! Not sure if they will let me race this car again as it has pretty much no floors now and yeah it is pretty tweaked in the front. These cars can take a major beating!

·
Registered
543 Posts
You've got bigger balls than me for working under a car held up by a loader, with no stand. FYI I was raised on a farm and have known two people killed by similar hydraulic failure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually that was pretty damn safe, notice the back of the car is also sitting on the front of the tractor, plus car was in gear for what its worth.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
so which one are you proud of the derby car or the car on the chain?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have owned 3 3.0 5spd cars and this was by far my favorite one. It has the 3.77 final drive, it was just so much fun to drive in town. Got 27 mpg with it no matter how I drove it. Loved that car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thats awsome how much that thing took a beating. i have a 3.0 5 speed shadow with 200,000 plus on it and i use it as my daily beater, i drive mine thru fields and any thing else that a car shouldnt be doing and it still hauls ass every where i take it. 3.0+5 speed+ p-body= Never Dies!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well I have a 3.0+5 speed+G-body = Dead. I fixed a bad rod bearing when I got the car a few weeks ago, and I still don't have oil pressure. Probably a bad oil pump. Don't feel like fixing it. I really wanted to quickly fix the car and then derby it, but it's not going to work out. Too bad because i always wanted a 3.0L 5 speed car. I just can't have two project cars at the same time. I have heard good things about the 3.0L engine though. Very reliable.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its actually more smashed than this because I raced it a few more times after these pics. I have a nice wipeout on dvd somewhere. My front windshield flew out in one piece, and I wrecked my starter, so now its pop start only. Also needs a radiator as the one in the car is not exactly holding water... I also have a 3.0 spirit es race car too. Hemi orange on both cars. Both cars have been sitting in the field for a few years now, time to revive them?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
i hope your running with no intake hooked up.

you could also swap a 52mm TB on and noone would ever know

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could have a turbo on it and it wouldn't matter there are no rules for stuff like that in these type of races. Its a bone stock 3.0 in there.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I could have a turbo on it and it wouldn't matter there are no rules for stuff like that in these type of races. Its a bone stock 3.0 in there.
Wish our local tracks were like that...the "Krazy Kompact" class (seriously) at the closest place has a rule book almost as thick as the book for Street Stock. Basically, it seems like most of the rules are designed to make a Cavalier or Sunfire the only competitive car, and guess who sponsors the series? The junkyard that seems to specialize in J-bodies...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.