Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read on wikipedia that a 95-01 neon transmission would fit in an 80's k-car. Anyone have any info or suggestions on this? my 84 lebaron turbo 2.2l transmission recently went out and i don't have the money to rebuild it. here's the link to the wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A-404_transmission#A413_or_31TH

I thought this was odd, and it might not be correct.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
The a413 in the 80's cars was close to the same thing as what was in the neon. The difference is the bell housing bolt pattern. The old ones were for the 2.2/2.5 bolt pattern then the later ones have the 2.0/2.4 bolt pattern. So you can't use a 2.0/2.4 engine in a 2.2/2.5. So you will still need to find a old style automatic tranmission.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh. Is there any way to maybe convert it over? Because I'm having a really hard time finding one, at least one in good condition and fairly cheap. could I maybe take parts from both and build something that would work? I have a good mechanic willing to help for free, (father-in-law) but I just need to know if it's possible to take that bell housing cover and put it on the neon.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
IIRC, the turbo trans from any year will work. But I know the auto's had the option of lock up or non-lock up. So you will have to watch out for that. I am not sure much beyond that. I stick with the manual transmissions since they are fairly straight forward.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Ok, heres the deal.

You have an 84 car. If it is on its original motor and transmission that means you have a 6bolt crank and a 3 bolt torque converter.

in 86, that changed. The bellhousing on ALL 2.2 and 2.5 ever made is the same, but if you get an 86-up tranny you will not be able to bolt the torque converter to your flexplate. You cannot swap the converters without swapping the pump as well. It is possible to do that if you want to put an older pump and converter into a newer donor trans.

ONLY non-turbos got lockup until 91, and 91 turbo cars are extremely rare. There is no reason you cant put a lockup tranny in your car, but the computer will not control the lockup. You can either run a switch to the lockup clutch connector, or leave it unlocked all the time, which is exactly what you have now.

Also, any non-turbo lockup tranny is going to be slightly less 'strong' than a turbo tranny because the clutch drums in the tranny have less clutch plates in them. They did this by moving the snap ring groove lower in the drum. The drums themselves are interchangeable. So you CAN put turbo clutch drums into a non-turbo lockup-converter tranny.

Also, all turbo trannies had the same diff and transfer gear ratios. non turbo transmissions COULD have a different gear ratio, or could be the same as stock. This can be fixed by swapping stuff around, if you care enough.

There is a lot to be said about what COULD be done, but unless you want to learn some new skills or already know tranny work, it would be best to have yours rebuilt or find an 84-85 turbo car tranny to install.

·
Premium Member
4,344 Posts
All above info is correct. You can use a later trans also by modifying two flex plates, (PM me and I'll show you how-pretty simple), using the late starter, and also late axles. I did this in my 85 Laser. I built the tranny to Turbo specs and use a switch for the lockup. I like the switched lockup as you can control it at lower than normal speeds where the lockup helps MPG more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Thank you so much, guys! it's nice to know it's at least possible. However, I just found a 200 dollar tranny in a junkyard today, so I'm just going to go for that. I appreciate the help, though, can anyone point me to a link that gives exact instructions for transmission removal? My mechanic is pretty busy so I think I may have to do this one on my own. Considering I'm a computer nerd, this should be interesting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts