Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, newb here. I've got a '95 Lebaron 3L that the gas gauge is stuck on emply.

Drove, had about 1/2 tank of gas in it, and the gauge indicated proper fuel level. Stopped and shut the car off for awhile. Got back in, started it, and the gauge suddenly read empty. Drove to gas station and put 6 gallons in and gauge didn't budge.

Anyone aware of any chronic problems related to this problem I should look for before diggin' in, like gauge cluster issues of float in the tank?

Thanks

·
Administrator
25,306 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

With the key on/engine off ground the sender signal line at the tank.
The gauge should move to the "full" position.
If it does the problem is in the tank with the sending unit.
If it does not the problem is with the wiring/gauge.
Post back with your results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like it's the sending unit. Does the tank have to be dropped to do it? Haynes manual says yes, but it would't be the first time they were wrong, lol.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,906 Posts
I drop the tank. Have you looked up underneath?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I haven't personally looked underneath. The car's at my Father-in-laws house 100 mi away.

He's digging into it. I've got the Haynes manual and am passing along the info you're providing. Not the most ideal situation, lol. I'm going up to work on the sending unit this weekend, though.

So you drop the tank?

·
Registered
366 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to come out completely, but at least halfway down. Support it with a piece of plywood on a floor jack. Be SURE to spray PB Blaster liberally on the strap studs and nuts, and ease them off. Maybe screw them up and down a couple of turns at a time. You do NOT want to break them off. And you unscrew the filler pipe from the fender to ease the tank down a little.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,906 Posts
^GREAT advice. I did the same thing on my Lebaron. Except I broke the studs LMAO even after hitting them with pb blaster... NOT FUN.
Goodluck

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
It doesn't necessarily have to come out completely, but at least halfway down. Support it with a piece of plywood on a floor jack. Be SURE to spray PB Blaster liberally on the strap studs and nuts, and ease them off. Maybe screw them up and down a couple of turns at a time. You do NOT want to break them off. And you unscrew the filler pipe from the fender to ease the tank down a little.
Yea, its best to support the tank, especially if it's got gas in it. Then there's no weight on the nuts/screws as you loosen them :thumb:

Definitely the way to go

·
Registered
366 Posts
If the studs break, you have two choices:

1) Drill through from the interior, install bolts with RTV around them to seal the opening.
2) If there is enough stud left, screw on a double-female standoff and then a bolt up into the bottom of the standoff.

Always use anti-seize compound on EVERY fastener you ever undo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'll have 'em hit the fasteners w/ Blaster when he gets home this PM and again tomorrow AM before I get there. I'll let you know how it goes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts