Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My girlfriend's Talon TSI AWD need help!
The transfercase is broken.

Anybody can tell how much that can cost in parts and if its a real hard job to do at home?

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
not too hard ? really ? I would anticipate this would be a pretty tough job to do "at home" ...

I hate working on my 92 TSi ; it seems like everything is a PITA

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I was told that the DSM AWD transfer cases had extended warranties on them. Apparently, very extended. Parts only though, so you will still have to yank it out. You may at least call your local Mitsubishi store and find out for sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Tcase is not a big deal to remover you need to drop the shaft and unbolt the tcase from the trans. Only the exhaust might be in the way of the bolts, well thats for a 1st gen I dont know what you have and the warranty might only be on the 1st gen due to the leak they had at the yoke.

·
Administrator
25,746 Posts
There is a recall for transfer case oil leaks, if it has not been performed the transfer case may get repaired/replaced for free.
I need the last 8 digits of the vin and mileage to check.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx a lot ! its realy apreciated :thumb:

but my gf has sent the car to a transmission shop last week.

It go ok, but i spoted an oily spot on her parking place and just lifted the car see where it came from....
The transfercase is leaking from everywhere :mad:
the dumbass who worked on it has done a great job painting it sylver though...

He supposedly changed the bearings and thats about it.

Damn, that is so pissing me off. We pay a shop to do the job and i will ultimatly have to do it myself.

So here is the VIN 4E3AL54FVE157259
About 200 000 Km on it

But now that a jerk messed with it i doubt a dealership will replace or repair it for free if ever it still covered.

I will need to find a suplier for the transfercase parts, someone know one??

·
Administrator
25,746 Posts
Well... Unfortunatly the recalls have been completed.
Transfer Case Oil Leaks completed on 12/1/98
Lower Lateral Ball Joints completed on 7/30/01
For future info for any of your cars, Recalls have nothing to do with Warranty/Mileage/Owner, they are safety issues that must be repaired and if not completed are open for free repair(as per the recall) for the life of the vehicle.
A dealership is not allowed to sell a vehicle(of thier manufacturer new or used) with an open recall(s).
For transfer case parts I would check with the dealer or your local salvage yard for a used unit. If nobody in your area has one or you want to check go to car-parts.com.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just count yourself lucky. They leak that oil around the T-case seal and can just lOCK up all 4. There have been bad accidents because of people going around corners and along interstates and they just stop. Dsm trader is a good place to pick up a T case. You can do this in a couple hours or less.
The down pipe might be in the way and need dropped and pushed to the side.
Dsm's are bad AZZ built,but a major pain to turn wrenches on.:drinking:

·
Registered
452 Posts
It doesn’t matter if the recalls have been performed or not they carry a lifetime warranty. If the t-case failure is due to a loss of fluid from a leak a drive shaft yoke the t-case should be replaced free of charge. My talon had the recall completed in 98 and started leaking from the drive shaft yoke and Just got it replaced free of charge.

The only way they would not repair or replaced it would be if you had performance modification that caused the failure

·
Administrator
25,746 Posts
I spoke to our warranty claims admin. this morning and the above statement is not true.
Recalls themselves are open for the life of the vehicle if they have not been completed.
Parts installed when performing a recall are warranted for 12 month's/12,000 miles.
If the part fails shortly after the parts warranty has expired the dealership can at thier discretion and with the approval of Chrysler replace the part free of charge to the customer.
We sometimes take liberty's with warranty, such as if the vehicle has just run out on time/mileage we will try to push it thru on a warranty claim but Chrysler has been cracking down on excessive warranty and they will charge the dealer back and/or put them on restriction and then the dealer has to eat the cost of parts/labor.
10 years is a bit too long for a dealer to even try.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Really?

That's weird. Sounds like the warranty clerk doesn't want to stand up to chrysler. My 95 Talon had both the lateral arms and T-case recall done recently after they were done several years and miles ago.

I'm thinking since both of those recalls are safety hazards they were willing to replace the parts rather than face a lawsuit because of a ball joint seperation or all 4 wheels lock up and casue an accident.

·
Administrator
25,746 Posts
Well then you should call the dealer/Chrysler and fight the battle for them.
I do not know what your dealer is doing but after working for Chrysler for 13 years I know for a FACT that a recall cannot be done twice, Chrysler will charge the dealer back.
If your dealer is doing things like that you may be happy but they will not when Chrysler comes in for thier surprise Service Audit and they go over every record for the last 3-5 years and Chrysler ends up billing them back for not having dotted thier i's and crossing thier t's and the dealer ends up owing them $100,000 or more. Seen it happen.
So unless you work for Chrysler and know first hand what the service dept. goes thru with Chrysler on warranty claims and resticted parts do not be so smug.
Besides, after 10 years how would you prove it was the recalled seal that was the leak and not something else, also part of every lube, oil, filter is checking ALL fluid levels and on a RWD,4WD,AWD that includes the differentials and transfer case. If you or your repair facility are not doing that do not blame Chrysler.
Perfect example of customer abuse/lack of mantainance is when the engine develops knocking/loss of oil pressure etc on a vehicle with 20- 25 k and when the vehicle is checked the factory installed oil filter is still on there.Chrysler does not cover that under warranty. All Chrysler vehicles come from the factory with an oil filter that is stamped "Factory Installed".
The customer/owner of the vehicle is responsible for maintainance and if that is not performed as stated in the maintainance schedule in the owners manual how is that Chryslers fault?

·
Registered
568 Posts
I know gm has some special policies that extend the coverage on certain things. But even these arent made public, and only the dealer nows about them. For example, the 1994-1997 s-10 with the 2.2 four cylinder would get a free head gasket change if it was leaking. This was only good for 100k mileage and 8 years I believe. Maybe chrysler had a special policy on those transfercases, but I would think 10 years is a bit much to get it for free.
james

·
Registered
452 Posts
Actually, I do work for a Chrysler dealership. And we've had those surpirse audits..... and they found nothing other than a few clerigal errors.

I'm not trying to be smug... just stating that it's been signed off on and okay-ed. There's also members of the local DSM board who went to different dealers here in MI and they also got the recalls done succussfully after already been done. Do the dealers advertise that there are recalls on cars over a certain age? No... but to those owners who know about them, they *usually* can get them done.... or maybe just in Michigan?

I think for them its worth thier time to fight for it.... I

·
Banned
313 Posts
It is the audits that they call you in advance to tell you they are going to do one. That was the kind of audit of clerical errors that cost me $50,000.00. Chrysler changed their policy shortly after my audit. They now do the audit, advise the dealer where the errors are, give 90 days to correct the dealership's evil ways, and then monitor all the stuff they audited.

Given your location, you may be in a favorable area for some long term recall warranty policy adjustments. I would not allow a new repair on a recall item unless the customer is paying or a prior work approval is obtained from our rep. And some of those PWA's are not worth the breath they are spoken with.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It is what it is, I guess. But it's getting this thread off topic. I just wanted to let them know that it was a possiblity, that's all.

I would think that they would keep covering it just for the fact that an accident deemed to be the fault of a recalled part could result in a lawsuit in these sue-happy days. I did find this from safercar.gov, so this may be why some dealers still cover it.
"All other safety recalls are in effect for the life of the product. "
ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

Both the dsm recalls are considered safety ones due to the fact if the t-case fails due to the faulty yoke seal (leaks out) or the ball joints seperate, they can cause an accident.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts