Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of rebuilding my 2.5 Lebaron. The engine is getting new forged pistons, ported exhaust manifold, new hybrid turbo, etc. I want to beef up the trany to handle the extra horse, 5 or 6 disc clutch pack, performance torque convertor, and some work on the valve body. I was wondering how difficult of a project this was. I've never messed with a transmission before. I read the a-413 upgrade sticky and he makes it SOUND easy. Are there any special tools needed? Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm trying to decide on a rebuild on my '84 Lebaron turbo ragtop 2.2 T-1 transmission. The diff-pin let loose and ruined the casing and I'm considering putting the 1984's pump and TC in a later Van A413 (lower gearing I hear) so in a sense I would be upgrading the transmission from the weaker small-splined '84 transmission to a stronger axled (5 clutch pack?) 90's something Van unit. Like you ,I have never redone an auto transmission but I don't intimidate by the prospect of doing it. OJT.....the only way to learn! I just need to make the decision....not like I'm dealing with an ultra- rare classic that needs to be kept original either! Good luck!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Its not that hard if you read lots and take your time(my 1st complete rebuilt is a champ!, if you need the car running you want to read more and have the correct parts on hand. You need to figure if you want a reverse manual valve body or mod the stock one. My opinion is you need to do something with the VB, the diff, add clutches(set them tight, use 5 stock clutches for the front, steels for a 78-80 trans, and 4 in the rear pack) and replace the wave snap ring with solid snap ring(which can be bought from the dealership but are expensive and you need to figure what one you need, most likely the thickest). Also a ~$7 "Sonnax" rear band strut is recommended. It is very helpful if you dont have a FSM to buy the ATSG manual for ~$15 online. If you can find a cheap used neon auto trans it has some good donor parts if you need them(pinion,possibly transfer gears, diff/bearing/housing, planet set, possibly front clutch drum/spring, ect..) . Its also helpful if you get a reusable pan gasket and drill/plug a hole to adjust the line pressure w/o dropping the pan. Also a ~$40 gauge for line pressure is helpful(300psi minimum). Dont buy a kit from a vendor as some are ~$250 and you get get correct parts for less than $100.

Read Carl's page(aka DblTrbl) A413 Tranny Upgrades
and Paul Smiths page Chrysler FWD Automatic Transmission

Also download this catalog because it has a great exploded veiw helpful for assembly(this is from Transtar Industries, which I orderd a rebuild kit and parts from) http://www.transtarindustries.com/catDownload.asp?ID=306

Many people just replace clutches/steels and leave the bearings alone if the trans was OK to begin with.

For tools: You prob have to buy some bolts to get the pump out(info on Paul's page), you need some snap ring pliers, feeler gauge set(for clutch clearances). If you want to replace bushings/bearings you need to buy special tools/have a shop do it/ make your own tools(like I did, but needed a lathe also to get a stubborn bushing out and also a press to install bearings on the diff)

For a good cheaper converter PM DblTrbl for a Nan, or a new stock turbo minivan converter may work OK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts