Turbo Dodge Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I finished my 3.0l conversion in my car and the transmission stay in second gear. the transmission don't shift and downshift it always stay in second gear! I tried the transmission in my part car before the swap and it worked very well !! I have the fault code 37 and 33. Help me please . Thanks you

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
2nd gear is the "limp" home mode. I would guess there is wiring problem with the transmission and computer.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a procedure to find the problem ?? Does there is fault codes for this transmission ??

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I really hate to ask this. But did you use all of the donor car's wiring harness and computers?

It almost sounds as if the solenoids are not in control one bit.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes its the wirring and computers from the donor car . The donor car was the same model has mine a p body 4 door and it was built the same year

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
You have to have a scan tool to see the EATX fault codes. If you do the standard 1-2-3 key/on, you will just get engine management codes. I also suggest that you have a wiring issue.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Disconnect the battery for a few minutes. It'll clear the memory and the tranny will shift normally again. However, once you reconnect the battery chances are that it will go back into limp mode almost right away :bang head

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the purpose of the two relays on the transmission computer ! And I puted some dextron III transmission fluid in the trans because after the swap the fuild level was low. Does the dextron III fluid can be the cause of the problem

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Does the dextron III fluid can be the cause of the problem?

Yes that is the problem.

Never put Dexron in an A604.

DO NOT try to DRIVE IT UNTIL YOU DO THE FOLLOWING.

You need to flush all that Dexron fluid out.

You can not not just drop the pan and drain it, because only some of the Dexron will be removed.

You also need to put on a new transmission panel filter.

Then fill it with ATF 4.

If you haven't driven it much, since putting in Dexron, then it may not have been damaged too much.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why dexron III fluid put the tranny into limp mode ?? And what is the major difference between atf and dexron fluid ? Thanks you

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
It won't put the trans in limp home mode right away. It will cause problems in the longer term. From what has been described here, I don't not believe the Dex3 is the immediate problem (it still needs to be replaced.)

Did pulling disconnecting the battery cause it to shift? If not, the controller is detecting something right away or it is never powering up or not connected...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
ones the asd, engine won't start/run without it and the other is for reverse lights which isn't ur problem. I'd definately make sure that everything is plugged in and if it all is then u need to get it scanned

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It won't put the trans in limp home mode right away. It will cause problems in the longer term. From what has been described here, I don't not believe the Dex3 is the immediate problem (it still needs to be replaced.)
Couldn't it though depending on what kind of shape it is in? Dexron III cleans like crazy, and if the trans was dirty enough the SVB could be all gummed up now.

Yer prolly right though.

On edit:

Or maybe not.

Because it was just a top-off of Dexron 3, I still suspect that it's solvent properties dislodge some gunk, and your Solenoid Valve Body is now clogged up. A complete fill of Dexron 3, most definitely can however, put even a clean well maintained A604 quickly into limp mode.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It can be done I hear. I would not try it though. They are fragile, easily broken.

He may be right that your wiring is just wrong. Though you still should get that Dexron out of there.

Did the trans work at all after the transplant?

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
As I recall, the owners manual for my '91 does say "topping off" with dexron ?? is acceptable...

Unless I miss understand the events that occured, the dexron 3 a non-issue.

The events as I understood them.

-A604 was removed from donor car (trans was shifting fine.)
-A604 was installed in it's new home.
-A604 never shifted while in it's new home...

Given that one wiring issue has already been found, I would be looking for another wiring issue.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
As I recall, the owners manual for my '91 does say "topping off" with dexron ?? is acceptable...

Unless I miss understand the events that occured, the dexron 3 a non-issue.
They made a mistake though, and it is well known that Dexron is death for an A604.

The following is from Allpar.

ALLPAR said:
When you change your transmission fluid, always use the recommended (in the manual) fluid. (1989-91 owners, ignore the manual and use ATF+3).

Dexron is not a universal fluid. Chrysler four-speed automatics only use ATF+3 (ATF+4 for newer vehicles), regardless of what the dipstick or owner's manual says. To quote Mopar Magazine, “ATF+4 is the right fluid for Chrysler automatic transmissions built since 2001.”

Do not use Dexron with an additive. Richard Widman passed us an extensive report from reputable gas company Chevron, which compared ATF+3 fluid with Dexron plus various additives. They found that neither of two major brands matched ATF+3's performance specs.
The events as I understood them.

-A604 was removed from donor car (trans was shifting fine.)
-A604 was installed in it's new home.
-A604 never shifted while in it's new home...

Given that one wiring issue has already been found, I would be looking for another wiring issue.

Maybe the issue is the Dexron added though. Very likely really since the wiring issue has been found. As you say, the trans worked fine, but then Dexron was added, and so there it is.

My theory:

If the trans is dirty, the Dexron top-off may have knocked some crud loose, that clogged the SVB. Dexron is way more solvent than ATF3 & 4.

A full Dexron fill will send any a604 into limp mode, and a top off on a dirty a604 will also, for the reasons stated above.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.