Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! This is an emergency because my girl loves the SC and I've been trying to fix some things like front end rebuild etc so she can enjoy it. She wants A/C. Here's the emergency.

What is the correct length for the A/C belt on an 87 Shelby Charger? Maybe I can have the parts store find me a belt at the correct, or near correct length.

What is the OEM part number? Maybe they can find it that way.

What parts store might have a listing for the A/C drive belt for an 87 Shelby Charger?

Nobody seems to have a listing for the correct A/C drive belt on this Shelby Charger. The parts stores have listings for belts for carburated 2.2 but not turbo cars. The belt I did buy for the A/C is way too short to even get around a pully edge even with the idler all the way up. I tried asking for '86 and '85 model years too but the same options appear on the parts place inventory. I inquired at NAPA, Auto Zone, and O'Riley. All said the belt is 47" long, which is way too short. I saw one at RockAuto indicating it was 48" but I know that is still too short.

When the belt was on the compressor and crank pulleys it crossed over the front of the idler about 1/3 the way between the idler pulley hub and the outer edge of the pulley itself. meaning it was closer to the hub than the outside edge. I estimating the belt to be at least three inches too short. Likely more.

Thanks

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
There are three different size idler pulleys that might be found on your car. It's entirely possible that it was replaced at some point with the larger (120mm) one...and in that case the factory belt length just wont fit. Best to just take a piece of string, set the tensioner NEAR the bottom of its travel...but not all the way to the shortest setting...maybe about 1/2" to 1" away from the shortest setting and then take a string measurement around the pulleys, down in the v-groove. If you don't leave at least a little of adjustment off the shortest possible length, you won't be able to install thee belt w/o removing the pincher bolt...which BTW is a way to get the belt on that is just a tad too short.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts