Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me be the first to say that I'm no A/C technician. I live in Florida and summer is coming fast, so I'm trying to get my car's A/C system back in action. In short, the A/C was fine before I removed the compressor belt about 3 years ago, and the car was in storage for the past 2 years until about 2 weeks ago when I started driving it again. Today I put the A/C compressor belt back on and the clutch is now behaving awfully strange. For the first minute it acts normally, but after that, it repeatedly goes on and off. A picture speaks a thousand words so here's a breif streaming mpeg...

http://www.tovdc.de/mov.mpg

Would anybody know why its doing that? :confused:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hard to say without throwing some gauges on it but it's probably low on refridgerant and when the compressor kicks on it sucks the pressure below the required pressure and shuts down the system. Once it's off the pressure equalizes and turns the compressor back on. Someone out there with more experiance may have a better explination.

Benji Farr
Green Bay WI
87 Shelby Z TII 15.2 @ 90.7
88 Shelby Z TI 2.2 auto
91 Shelby TI 2.5 5spd
http://bfarroo.tripod.com
http://www.extremepsi.org

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
If the clutch is going on and off it probibly is low on freon. You said it has not been run in 3 years so it should not be a big leak. Top it off and see how it works. What freon is in the system and where at in central florida are you? If you want to stop by I'll help you.
Tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys... I imagine its R12, I see no stickers or marks saying that it was converted, and it wouldn't shock me that its leaked out. Is there any way for even a shop to tell which kind of refrigerant it is? Maybe I could get one of those $20 check-ups that include a little freon. Do those check-ups include a leak-down test too?

Charger R/T I really appreciate the offer, looked up where Avon Park is and its a pretty long drive. I'm from Debary, which is a little past Sanford from your perspective. Its too bad its that far away, we could chat, I've got an old Mopar too, a 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner. I restored it myself from the ground up (with the exception of shooting the paint).

I appreciate the tips. Keep them coming if you still have input. I don't trust A/C shops especially, I know they often make up extra problems because want more money.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
they do make a test kit but I have never seen one. If its been converted there are fittings that need to be installed over top the factory ones so that R134 gauges fit on. Look at your fittings if the system is still R12 the 2 fittings will look like each other only one (high side) is just a little smaller then the other (low side). The low side one also looks exactly like your fuel pressure fitting. If its been converted to R134 neither one looks like your fuel pressure fitting. They are also bigger. One is still bigger then the other neither are threaded they use quick disconnect fittings.

If its still R12 good luck finding some. You need a licence to buy it. There are other gasses like freeze 12 out there I have never used it (I'm sitting on 30lbs of R12) and don't know how well it works. Do a search on here there was a thread receintly on that stuff.

If you want to convert to R134. Replace the dryer add some Ester oil (mineral oil OEM for R12 not compatable with R134, PAG oil OEM oil for most R134 not compatable with R12, and Ester oil works with both R134 and R12 systems and oils) suck it in to a good vacuum and recharge with R134 at about 70 to 75% of the amount of R12 the system used.
Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts