Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the previous owner took the a/c off the car but i have everything to hook it all back up.

since the system is completely empty, does anyone know what all i need to fill the sys. back up properly with oil and refrigerant.

Im planning on putting 134 back in it and i know A-Zone sells the can with the oil mixed in with the refrigerant i just dont know how much to buy and all that.

any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I think you need to remove the air in the system first. I remember I had a friend of my fathers do it for me. First he connected this pump to the system to remove the air and ensure the a/c system would hold vacuum (no leaks). after that he hooked the cans of refrigerent as well as oil and stop leak and filled it up. Worked great until the condenser sprung a leak a year later.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Any time the system has been opened you have to replace the receiver drier, it takes the moisture out of the system or you will get muggy feeling a/c and will not work properly, also replace the orifice tube. It is an inline filter in one of the lines.

·
Administrator
25,725 Posts
Chrysler does not use an orifice tube, they use an expansion valve(H-Block) which bolts to the evaporator in the engine compartment. It does not have to be replaced unless there is a problem with the valve itself.(usually no cooling and low side pressure will go into a vacuum)
Replace all crush washers(1 time use) and o'rings.
Yes, replace the reciever-drier.The Drier contains a dessicant bag to absorb moisture in the system, if it becomes saturated it may burst spreading the dessicant thru out the system.
The system needs to be evacuated (under a minimum of 28"HG) for 30 minutes to remove all moisture. Moisture will affect cooling, mix with refrigerant to produce acids that will destroy the system from the inside out. At 28"HG water will boil at room temperature.
The total capacity of oil is 7.25 ounces. Empty the compressor, add 1 ounce to the evaporator, 1 ounce to the drier and 1 ounce to the condenser and the rest in the compressor.
Fill the system with 134a to 80% capacity of what the R-12 capacity was. If you are doing this yourself charge thru the low side. NEVER open the high side with the engine running.
R-12 capacity was 2.37 lbs so 134a so you will use 1.89lbs max.
134a is very fickle, if it is under/overfilled it will not cool properly.
Be sure the condenser area and front end are free of debris or obstuctions and that your cooling fan works well, cooling system is in good shape and your front air deflector is properly in place. There is very little grill area on a Daytona and without proper airflow the high side pressure with 134a will climb drastically and cause the refrigerant/pressure to be relieved to the atmosphere.
Some cars that are retrofitted have to have a pusher fan installed to help with cooling of the condenser to prevent this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts