Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this is going to be fun where this post is supposed to go and how well it will be received.

Alright guys, I have a problem on a non-Dodge vehicle, but this is the forum I'd rather post about it on b/c people here are so much more helpful and knowledgeable. I hope someone can help w/ some advice. This should be a fairly universal problem that mostmechanically inclined individuals can answer.

Car: 1996 Volvo 850GLT
Problem: No airconditioning

Here's the lowdown, last summer the a/c would randomly kick off for 3-5min at a time. This didn't happen until towards the end of the summer when it wasn't so vital to have the a/c and it only happened maybe 5-10times, so I didn't worry too much about it. (On a side note, I can't tell you guys whether the compressor was still cycling or not when it kicked out. Which may or may not be vital to a diagnosis)

Ok, so this car is sort of my baby, I absolutely love it. The car sat in my garage again this winter from October-March. I had a trickle chrager on it, only had time to go out and start it about once/month and let it idle for 5-10min/time. The most recent starts in March I noticed the A/C & Recirculate lights flashing, which in Volvo and some other cars indicates some sort of a malfunction in the cooling/heating/fan system.

The car doesn't flash the lights anymore, however now that I have it out and gotten maybe 500miles on it since storage, I've noticed that the A/C is not working altogether and I don't even believe the compressor is engaging at all.

My questions: Any advice? This a compressor problem or does it just need recharged? Or worse yet...does it sound like some other type problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated! I hope this thread will be alright to leave so I can get some help.

Thanks guys!
Casey

· Mr. Moderator
8,952 Posts
Well first I would remove the belt and make sure its not locked up (common issue). THen I would see if its charged. Some that are just below charging level wont kick on and refuse to run (computer controlled crap). So take one of the plastic caps off one of the lines and stick a pick or a small screw driver and see if you have a freon. If its completely empty and depressurized you have a leak.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, well for future reference if anyone is thinking the same thing as you. You had the right idea, except its one serpentine belt. So no way it'd be frozen or I wouldn't be running, but A+ for effort.
Is that true that some systems will not engage if the freon/coolant/wahetevr the crap is now is low? If thats the case I was considering trying that.

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check that, but would that explain the system kicking on and off last summer? Perhaps it was getting low on freon?

· Registered
1,001 Posts
It could be low. Poking the schraeder valve will only tell you whether or not it's completely discharged. The compressor will fail to run if the refrigerant (is that the word you were looking for? :) ) goes below a certain level, so there could still be enough pressure to make you think it's charged but not enough to engage the compressor clutch. Those stupid computerized climate control systems can make you chase your tail like a pomeranian on speed. Go to a parts store or Mall-Wart and get a gauge set; that's the only way to know if you've got a fully-charged system. I need O-Rings & R-134a for the Duster, so I'll be doing the same thing soon. I 'm starting to wish I hadn't nixed the A/C on my Charger. :bang head

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, thats definately the term I was looking for, thanks sittn. Thats definately good news then, I wasn't completely sure if low 'refrigerant' ;) would cause this. So that means it was borderline at the end of last summer then. Hopefully thats my only problem and why the lights were flashing before.
Reason I ask something like this is cause I've never had air in a car. I've either torn it out cause it doesn't work or just left the stuff. I've never worried too much about having it. UNFORTUNATELY my fiance doesn't share the same feelings on the issue, so we have to get the a/c back on this summer or it will be miserable (for many more reasons than just the heat) :rolleyes:

· Registered
350 Posts
Low pressure switch will kick the clutch out if the system is low of charge to save the compressor. You could be missing about a 1/3 of the charge and the problem can happen. Good way to tell if you have a low charge is to see if you can jumper the lower pressure switch connection and prevent the system from kicking in and out. A faulty switch could also cause it to kick in and out.

· Registered
1,001 Posts
Yeah, I know the feeling. My wife makes me change the temp. in the car by about 10° every 5 minutes. It drives me nuts, she can't just set it in the middle somewhere and call it good.
I wish all our cars were like my Charger, with the climate controls down by my left knee. :thumb:

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thatd be nice, it sucks even more that this thing has dual climate control. I don't know when I'll get around to checking the pressure, but it gives me piece of mind that I'm betting low refrig is the problem. I prefer window A/C though, sweat off a few pound, never hurts anyone. :D

· Registered
1,001 Posts
The only part I can't deal with in a car without A/C is those hot, rainy days when the windshield constantly fogs up. :bang head That's enough to piss off the pope (not Rob Walsh, the Catholic guy in the Vatican) :p

· Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol, agreed. Definately had that problem in every single one of the TDs I had.....was taking all that A/C crap out something to do w/ that!?!?!? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.