Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering about personal experiences with detonation sounds and their consequences, i.e. "mine was barely audible clicks but then piston #4 blew up", or "mine sounded like someone throwing marbles in a metal trashcan but its got 50k miles on it like that with no probs"

etc..

SO:

mine sounds like an mild exhaust leak (lots of short, rustling, sharp sounds that are almost inaudible above engine noise)...engine is rebuilt 2.5 turbo with T3/T4, set to 10psi with g valve. detonating because i have no IC :)

its got about 2000 miles on it in this condition..i wonder if the pistons are damaged.. (cast mahle, new)

gunna set it to 5psi today until intercooler is piped

·
Registered
178 Posts
just wondering about personal experiences with detonation sounds and their consequences, i.e. "mine was barely audible clicks but then piston #4 blew up", or "mine sounded like someone throwing marbles in a metal trashcan but its got 50k miles on it like that with no probs"

etc..

SO:

mine sounds like an mild exhaust leak (lots of short, rustling, sharp sounds that are almost inaudible above engine noise)...engine is rebuilt 2.5 turbo with T3/T4, set to 10psi with g valve. detonating because i have no IC :)

its got about 2000 miles on it in this condition..i wonder if the pistons are damaged.. (cast mahle, new)

gunna set it to 5psi today until intercooler is piped
I have never witnessed any detonation with my 2,5 set up but i have IC. Try running high octane first. Minumum 91 or add 1/2 100 octane unleaded race gas and see what happens to your sound. 10 psi is high and turbo big without IC. You can also try alkyl injection for chemical intercooling, but I like the IC route. Also not sure what you timing is set at.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts