Turbo Dodge Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Two harnesses and three SBEC-2's? I actually already replaced the bushings. It felt like it kicked the shifter back when shifting into 3rd. Leave it to me to break an A568 in light daily driving...

I could easily do the 8v swap again (and the transmission at the same time). The 8v Spirit is running like a champ. But that's a complete mission failure. I went into this to get a DOHC setup. If I had any idea ahead of time how bad these cars are, I would have just gone with a Neon or another Altima.
I pm'd u another solution.

The 3rd gear thing my Honda Prelude did when low on trans oil. check it?
I have a 555 in my yard (dunno if u can use it)

Only way to diag it is gonna be a DRB 2 or a chipped SBEC u can laptop tune and see every sensor in real time see what's wrong.
I read on the other TD site TM there's guides to add a serial port to USB for live data.

Or do the parts cannon. I'll bet it's the fpr ruptured diaphragm or the coil is dying.
And add extra grounds....

·
Registered
85 New Yorker 2.2 T1, multiple red 1991 Spirit R/T's, lots of bits and pieces
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
"Did you check out the cam sensor?"

Yep, and I confirmed cam timing, too.

"The 3rd gear thing my Honda Prelude did when low on trans oil. check it?"

Just refilled it fresh on Monday.

"Or do the parts cannon. I'll bet it's the fpr ruptured diaphragm or the coil is dying."

Changed it twice, including taking the one from the 8v Spirit. I've got a pretty ridiculous inventory of spare parts for this car...........which goes with it to whoever buys it.....

I do genuinely appreciate the help guys. I'm with Donovan on this one. T3 was Dodge's mistake, which I made three times.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
"Did you check out the cam sensor?"

Yep, and I confirmed cam timing, too.

"The 3rd gear thing my Honda Prelude did when low on trans oil. check it?"

Just refilled it fresh on Monday.

"Or do the parts cannon. I'll bet it's the fpr ruptured diaphragm or the coil is dying."

Changed it twice, including taking the one from the 8v Spirit. I've got a pretty ridiculous inventory of spare parts for this car...........which goes with it to whoever buys it.....

I do genuinely appreciate the help guys. I'm with Donovan on this one. T3 was Dodge's mistake, which I made three times.
U may be right about the T3.

I never see anyone brag about driving one they are always trying to sell em.

I just checked my 10 year old video I made to sell mine and the TPS wiring was also bad lol.

Mine never bucked and surged that I recall it just kept stalling. When I first got it the crank sensor made it run like crap due to the trans separation causing the sensor to loose signal.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The TPS connector is a regular problem on this harness, which baffles me since it's all virtually the same exact harness as SBEC. I've now stolen two SBEC TPS plugs to patch into SBEC-II harnesses, and both went bad (i.e., touch the plug slightly, and it loses connection). Meanwhile, I have NEVER had a bad TPS plug on ANY other Chrysler vehicle. Does it eat them?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The TPS connector is a regular problem on this harness, which baffles me since it's all virtually the same exact harness as SBEC. I've now stolen two SBEC TPS plugs to patch into SBEC-II harnesses, and both went bad (i.e., touch the plug slightly, and it loses connection). Meanwhile, I have NEVER had a bad TPS plug on ANY other Chrysler vehicle. Does it eat them?
Maybe it pulls on the connector or the wiring makes it draw to many watts through it or it grounds all the sensors through it?

I think it's just cursed. I've had many basketcase cars that never run right and fight u as hard as they can till u scrap it.

Got a free 94 Ford Tempo and a $20 junkyard fuel pump/sender got it running.
In a week all 4 struts/shocks went out bounced all over. Trans kept staying in 1st unless u restarted the car at red lights then it would shift. It kept running like crap and there were 3 mice in the dash (no joke hit the dash they went nuts) tried doing the fuel filter, the second I dropped the fuel line (fender mounted) all the mice ran into the Autozone I was at and stayed there for months. I had the car for a month it got so bad the shifter popped off kept stalling/not shifting.Wasted so much time in the autozone parking lot getting nowhere. I gave it to some homeless girl I met never saw them again. It was definitely cursed....

Another car was a 84 Prelude 5 speed dual sidedrafts. It never ran right had it for years tried everything but it kept running like crap so it was finally scrapped....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Funny you mention that. We have an AutoZone in the back of our parking lot. We walk there all the time. One day, I rounded the corner and came face-to-face with a squirrel, holding a full cigarette sticking out the side of his mouth. The little guy looked up at me like, "Oh crap, I didn't expect to see humans here!" I lost my composure and fell into the front door, desperately trying to explain to the staff what I just saw with my own eyes.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I reached out to some of my turbo Dodge friends, and the most I'm getting offered is $1k. The general thought is, "If I'm going to buy another broken R/T, I'll get one on Facebook for $1k." I basically must fix the problem, whether or not I want to sell it. So, here's what I tried next which hasn't worked.

Another stock SBEC-II, disassembled the harness to look for broken/suspect wires and cleaned all of the pins individually, cleaned throttle body, replaced thermostat with 192 degree, replaced coolant temp sensor and block temp sensor, replaced cam position sensor, replaced bellhousing crank sensor, replaced fuel rail (stock injectors, FPR, harness), replaced all of the vacuum lines and hoses and clamped or zip-tied every joint, replaced the PCV and catch can, replaced plugs (light gray haze), reflowed the connections on the cluster for accurate gauges, changed to V-Power brand gas, added a new ground strap, replaced the battery, cleaned the terminals, replaced one blown fuse and one incorrect-size fuse, tested fuel pressure, tested the MAP/BAR, TPS, and coolant temp sensors again as per the manual, disconnected the A/C, cleaned the throttle body...and probably some things I haven't thought of.

The only route that seems to net any results is the TPS. If I have one that tests bad, it's more likely to drive right (at least for a while). I think my next step is going to be to replace the throttle body, perhaps replace the fuel pump just because, and start tearing off as much as I can get away with.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I identified the problem, but I don't have a solution.

I unplugged and cleaned the vehicle speed sensor connector and drove it unhooked. NOW it runs awesome. It boosts consistently, doesn't buck when letting off the throttle, doesn't backfire, and even WARMS UP! I don't understand what that sensor could possibly have to do with the engine's ability to reach operating temperature, but that's what happens.

I would just leave it unhooked and get myself a GPS based speedometer, but it's also responsible for keeping the car from stalling when slowing down.

I have now tried three sensors and two wiring harnesses. The speedometer reads right. I'm not convinced that the sensor is bad at all, but what in the world could it be triggering? I did also try unplugging the IAC, and incredibly the buck/surge and low power problem is still there.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Anyone know if the pigtail from the VSS splices elsewhere before reaching the SBEC-II? In other words, could the sensor be giving a good clean signal to the speedometer but not to the SBEC-II?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
pores over the diagrams Daaamn! Thank you so much! It looks like the VSS shares a reference voltage (I think). I should check the voltage to the sensor before and after plugging it in.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
pores over the diagrams Daaamn! Thank you so much! It looks like the VSS shares a reference voltage (I think). I should check the voltage to the sensor before and after plugging it in.
It gave me a reason to sit down and relax before I tackle this huge pile of parts that came with the new project. I got some T3 adjustable Cam gears you can have too.
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Pollution Gas

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Oh, I spotted it. That's a treasure trove in the picture.

See that T3 drip-pan? My second Spirit R/T was making this really weird musical sound during turns at low speed. It sounded like "boooooop booooop booop boop". Turned out that the drip hose fell off of the drip tray but was still being held by the strap in the middle. The end of it was touching the inner part of the CV axle, which was playing it like a flute.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts