Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im working on an 84 2.2 (i think its 84 because theres numbers on the back of the block right above the oil pan that say 12 17 84 i think those are the right ones.... but i know it looked scary like a date)
well 1. whats the best way to get the exhaust manifold studs outa the head? i figure ill just warm the aluminum up with a propane torch so that it expands and they get loose... one i broke the nut off of but theres still room to grab it with vise grips and theres 2 others... 1s fine and the other one has flat spots on the threads from where i die grinded the sides of the nut off

2. whats should i seal the threads with when i put them back in?

and im puting this into a 91 daytona with a standard trans so im getting the hole machined into the crank for the pilot shaft and puting on the 6 bolt flywheel

does anybody happen to have the size and tolerances for the hole? lol

and im gunna try to reuse my clutch off my 8 bolt flywheel it should fit ...right?

and a heads up on anything else that would like to pop up on be would be nice

· Premium Member
4,358 Posts
TDs don't use a pilot bearing. the trans has a bearing in front that holds the shaft. The clutch should be okay as long as they are both same type engines(Turbo or N/A).Good luck with the studs! Use all the 91 sensors. about any good sealer will work on the studs --Right Stuff--sillicone--gasket sealer.etc.

· Old School Hot Rodder
1,796 Posts
My personall choice on assembly lube is generally a 50-50 mix of STP and whatever grade of oil you are going to use. It doesn't leave residue loose in the engine, but the STP will stay on things. 12 17 84 was probably an 85 engine, 85 model year started in September of 84 and engine production was probably a month earlier at least as far as the casting went.

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what i thought about the numbers to... the motor im taking out says 89 and its a 91 so who knows... but anyway whats the easiest way to get the axles out of a daytona pop the bolts out of the lower control arm on the body? or take the bolt off that goes onto the lower ball joint?

· Registered
2,728 Posts
ive had to pull my axles a few times and +1^. undo the balljoint bolt and undo the end clamps on the sway bar. swing the bar down and pry the lower arm out of the spindle. now you can move the strut around to get the axle out of the spindle. if you cant get the axle out of the trans, autoStoned rents a slide hammer with an axle puller adapter (never had to use it personally)

· Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hahaha.... so i popped the pinch bolt outa the ball joint... and beat the arms down with a hammer and persuader bar... my buddy works at a garage and said once he had an older caravan in there.... and he took the sway bar off the a arm... then couldnt get it back on so it got a lil messed up

uhhh when i took out the passengers side axel.... i kinda pulled it and the middle shaft came outa the shaft that has the splines in for the trans.... so i pushed it back together lol... glad i had a good boot... you think something coulda fell out?? inside the boot ya kno... maybe one of the balls that makes the cv joint?

· Registered
1,526 Posts
Something to think about. With that build date it's an early '85 block. Before installing it in the car I'd drill and tap the block for 11MM head bolts. The factory changed from 10 to 11MM head bolts late in the '85 model run anyway. Good time for a new Mopar head gasket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.