Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's the story. I just recently completed a t2 swap in my 1988 daytona. It has a garrett t2 turbo that was supposedly rebuilt 8,000 miles ago. I also replaced the injectors, fuel rail and regulator, and the head gasket. The only part that was not upgraded to t2 status was the computer. After the swap i got the car to run pretty good. Boost was set to 12psi and it ran and drove fine, no smoke or anything. The other day i went outside, started my car, and drove down the road when i noticed the turbo was hessitant to boost and a giant cloud of white-grey smoke coming from behind my car. I immediately turned around and parked the car, the underside of my car near the turbo and firewall was drenched in oil. I wiped the oil off, tightened the oil line from the turbo going into the back of the block, and the problem persisted. So obviously i have an oil leak somewhere that only leaks during boost, and another, unknown problem preventing me from boosting correctly. Also when i stuck my hand in the turbo i noticed a little bit of shaft play, not too bad, but deffinatly more than when i installed the turbo 50 miles ago. Is my turbo shot already? Is it just a simple line problem? Im a little overwhelmed after doing all that work, only to have my car smoking and throwing oil all over the place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You had your hand in the turbo, was there any oil in the cold side?
I would check/tighten the oil feed to turbo at the turbo.
Then start looking for source of oil...
Generally when the seals fail, the oil remains inside the intake track and downpipe, not outside the engine.
Check the oil level and then start it up, get under it with a light and start looking.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm waiting for. I don't want to start the car without adding more oil first. What's a good way to know for sure if the turbo is bad?

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
One of the most common problem with large oil loss is the rear cam seal.
If the turbo is the issue there should be oil in the charge pipes or in the exhaust if it is on the turbine side.
Also be sure your PCV system and breather are functioning properly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the most common problem with large oil loss is the rear cam seal.
If the turbo is the issue there should be oil in the charge pipes or in the exhaust if it is on the turbine side.
Also be sure your PCV system and breather are functioning properly.

Would the rear cam seal leak only under boost though? I can start the car without oil coming out. I did notice smoke out of the downpipe, but not alot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You had your hand in the turbo, was there any oil in the cold side?
I would check/tighten the oil feed to turbo at the turbo.
Then start looking for source of oil...
Generally when the seals fail, the oil remains inside the intake track and downpipe, not outside the engine.
Check the oil level and then start it up, get under it with a light and start looking.
I did not notice any oil on the cold side, and there's no oil in my intercooler piping either.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I did not notice any oil on the cold side, and there's no oil in my intercooler piping either.
Then I would lean towards a non-turbo issue.
To be sure; confirm there is not oil in the down pipe after the turbo.
You should be able to unbolt it and swing it enough to look into it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
tightened the oil line from the turbo going into the back of the block,
This part caught my eye, the oil feed into the turbo is connected to the front of the block(car), the drain from the turbo goes to the pipe on the back of the block. Which line exactly did you tighten?

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
the upper side gets a compression fitting, that needs to be swapped with a real hose clamp going back to the block. That return line can't be RUBBER, if it is your going to blow oil everywhere.

Next you didn't add a rebuild kit to the turbo and you may have adding new lines that flow oil better than it had before.

Combine a sloppy turbine ring with more oil, a rubber return hose or not a good upper clamp and you have trouble. The exhaust pressure is a lot higher than the boost pressure and at 15 PSI the exhaust pressure in the turbine can be up to 3 times higher at 45 PSI. The hugh exhaust pressure can make its way into the oil return line back to the block. If the line is rubber or not clamped right the oil sprays all over the out side of the turbo under boost making the cloud and the mess.

My guess lol

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
any way you can take and post some pics for us to see?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The line I tightened came from the turbo and is a solid line that has a rubber bend section that goes to a hole in the block on the passenger side. I will try to post pictures tomorow. I'm pretty sure that line is an issue due to the oil spray around it. However, what worries me is that now when I start the car, it puffs white-gray smoke out of the exhaust once it's warmed up.

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
If you are talking about the short rubber hose that goes from the turbo to block that is the oil drainback tube.

Are your plugs showing signs of oil fouling?
Is there oil in the air cleaner housing?
Is there blowby from the oil fill cap opening or pressure at the dipstick tube?
Is there oil in the charge piping or throttle body?

Burning oil can be caused by...
Internal Engine(Valve Seals/Guides, Rings)
Turbo Seals
Restricted PCV/Breather System

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
There is only one oil feed line from the oil sender adapter fitting to turbo and the drainback tube.
The drainback tube cannot be replaced with the turbo in the car.
There are 2 coolant lines, feed line from cylinder head and return line to rear of block.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The line I tightened came from the turbo and is a solid line that has a rubber bend section that goes to a hole in the block on the passenger side. I will try to post pictures tomorow. I'm pretty sure that line is an issue due to the oil spray around it. However, what worries me is that now when I start the car, it puffs white-gray smoke out of the exhaust once it's warmed up.
That is the coolant feed line, it runs to the turbo center facing the front of the car, the coolant return line is the one 180° opposite, from the turbo center facing the back of the car.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
sounds like a head gasket, whiteish smoke out the tail pipe when warmed up, what does the smoke out of the tail pipe smell like?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sounds like a head gasket, whiteish smoke out the tail pipe when warmed up, what does the smoke out of the tail pipe smell like?
Like burning oil for the most part.. And the headgasket is brand new. I drove the car maybe twice, and it only saw boost maybe Four or five times.

·
Administrator
25,546 Posts
If you want to narrow down/eliminate internal engine as an issue you will need to run a cylinder leak down test.

Unless I missed it you still have not commented on the PCV and Breather Systems.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts