Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS; 1989 Shelby CSX
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a question for all the current and former CSX-VNT owners out there. For the past year, I have owned a CSX and have kept it in storage way far from home. My car has 42K original miles and was converted to an A413 automatic tranny by a previous elderly owner. It currently runs great and drives great but is in need of cosmetics - mostly just replace the front air dam and paint. I intend to keep it with the A413 because of my physical issues.

My question is this: How reliable are the CSX-VNT cars? My car is low mileage and looks to have been driven gently for all of its life - something that will continue under my ownership. I assume that all the vacuum lines should be replaced at this point. I am trying to determine whether to proceed forward with the cosmetic rehab or if I'm asking for trouble than I can deal with and should sell to my friend who wants it badly.

I'm physically limited from doing much of my own wrenching at this point and am having a lot of problems finding a mechanic in the San Francisco Bay Area who knows enough or is willing to work on a Turbo Dodge car, let alone a complicated VNT system. As my body has let me down, I have found that reliability is an attribute I value in any car.

Can a CSX-VNT be a reliable weekend driver? My intention is to use the car for casual drives down the Pacific Coast Highway. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any input.

Skyroof

·
Legendary Driver
10,932 Posts
Being low miles you should be ok. But old cars are going to need things. Vacuum lines yes. But they can be taken out of the car and rebuilt in a chair if needed vs leaning over a car for an hour. new factory nylon line can be found here:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/shopping/catalog/pneumatic_components/flexible_pneumatic_tubing_-a-_hoses/straight_nylon_tubing.

It'll replace all the old nylon line that has probably dried out.

I drove my 87 ShelbyZ from Spokane, Wa to SoCal with just a spare tire and an extra intercooler hose coupler. The couplers didn't like being on the hot side from the turbo to the i/c but they were great for finding needed angles when doing custom intercooler installs. I did end up having to replace it while I was down there but it was a known issue so I didn't mind. Once I replaced it with silicone it's been rock solid ever since. So if you keep them stock and in good shape they can be reliable. I mod them quite a bit and if you're good with it they can also be reliable. It's all down to care and maintenance. If you go cheap then that'll usually come back to bite you as well. But when mine aren't down due to a round of modifications then I don't hesitate to jump in and drive them anywhere I need/want to go.

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS; 1989 Shelby CSX
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your opinion and for a source for vacuum lines. Lots of preventative maintenance been done in last 4K miles: head gasket, head bolts, cooling system flush, thermostat, cap, knock sensor, plugs, and timing belt. As far as I can tell, its pretty much stock less whatever was done for the A413 swap - exactly how I will be keeping it. I also have a new Mopar HEP, belts, and a spare low mileage VNT if need arises.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts