Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS; 1989 Shelby CSX
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Yesterday, I drove to Reno to pick up the front air dam order for my CSX at Kaminari Aerodynamics. They were having a 20% off sale, which I unfortunately just found out ended today. While there, the owner invited me in to take a walk through the area they make their products. I got to see several of the products they just completed for several Honda Accords - using molds that they haven't used in 10 years. He also walked me to the molds they have for contract work they do for Shelby American, making the hoods for the Mustang GT-500. Was interesting to see both the bottom and top molds for the hood. He also showed me several of the Chevy SSR parts they are developing.

The owner is a very nice guy. He bought Kaminari Aerodynamics 20 years ago when they were on the verge of bankruptcy. Unfortunately, when he made the purchase, he did not get all the molds for making previously made Kaminari parts. This is why the front air dam for the '89 CSX is not the original design used on the CSX-VNT and they do not have the mold for making the lower rear air dam. Still, I think it is great that the current owner was able to continue Kaminari and that it survives to this day. In fact, this year is the 40th year of operation.

Kaminari makes custom body parts for many different cars. After my visit, I'd have to endorse supporting small businesses like this. They are nice people and they help us to create unique qualities to our cars. Thanks.

Skyroof

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting story. I didn't know you could even still buy the body kits for these. I just bought a 1987 CSX and wondering how difficult it is to find parts for these cars. Where do you live?

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS; 1989 Shelby CSX
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting story. I didn't know you could even still buy the body kits for these. I just bought a 1987 CSX and wondering how difficult it is to find parts for these cars. Where do you live?
I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. This was for my '89 CSX, which has different ground effects then your '87. Kaminari does not make or carry the correct ground effects for your '87. I do not believe anybody made an aftermarket duplicate either. However, you likely have a greater chance to find the correct used parts since 1750 CSX's were assembled in 1987-1988 vs 500 cars in 1989.

If you want a custom look for your '87, Kaminari has the front/sides/rear wing. Otherwise, Razzi has full ground effects kit available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very cool. I knew the body was different on the 89 bit was unaware it was still in production. Plan is for me to have all 3 of these cars. 87 csx, 88 csxt and the 89 csxvnt. Next year ill try and grab a thrifty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts