Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few off the wall questions about how the transmission fluid is transfered in to the differential section of the case. And how the trans fluid is to the side gear is supplied .
Are there holes that let the fluid pass from the main case into the rest of the sections ?
I guess my main question is how are the transfer pinion shaft bearings lubercatied ? does the oil level just cover those bearings ? or splash lubed ???
Help me understand.

·
Premium Member
8,914 Posts
there are passages that allow the fluid to transfer across the trans, 'tween xfer gears & diff side ..
those are I presume splash oiled ..

I wonder if/how the differential's "output" roller bearings (which the splined halfshafts slide into) are lubricated ?
thats where my last a413 failed .. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,914 Posts
Tell me what happened ? The bearings that I'm interested in ..are the bearings on the diff pinion shaft that the transfer gear spins
I would presume the whole 'differential' assy is 'splash oiled' like every other diff ..

my drivers side output bearing was failing, excessive play was causing fluid leak past the halfshaft seal.. and coarseness..

'twas a stock a413,, swapped it out for a 'built' one..

·
Super Moderator
6,974 Posts
the oil for the diff is common oil, shared ATF the diff portion is open inside allowing fluid to freely flow into and out of the diff

·
Administrator
24,117 Posts
Which leads to the point of...
If the trans fluid is low or the "wrong" fluid is used then the differential parts may suffer.

Let me tell you a story...
Waaaaaaaay back in the early 80's I worked at a trans shop as an installer.
This shop was located near Atlantic City so they did a lot of limo work and one of the biggest issues they encountered was damaged rear wheel bearings which also damaged the axle (which on a floating bearing acts as the inner race).
The cause was not enough gear oil reaching the axle bearings.
They repaired the axles (spray weld and lathe) and to prevent future failures had us "overfill" the differential with gear oil, the additional gear oil would run down the tubes and keep the axles/bearings well lubricated.

I AM NOT telling you to overfill your trans, just using the story as an analogy to explain lack of lubrication and bearing failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts