Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need some help, I can tear a motor down and put it back together blind folded.,but I'm as smart as a box of hair when it comes to tranny's. I know what I want and need but need your guys help to get there. Ok I have a horizon, 10-1+ CR, Comp 131 cam, Long tube header, modded intake and Carb, no cat. The gearing to high, it's the 2.78 and I can't get off the line quick enough, I want the 3.05. Now How do I now which tranny has that , and when I find one how do I get them out. Stupid question I know but again I'm not a tranny guy.

TIA 24kilo

·
Registered
568 Posts
Im not the best trans guy either, but that ratio would come with a heavier car, daytona, lebaron. I would think you just need the ring and pinion from a a413 out of one of those cars. .
james

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
you don't need to change the ring & pinion (hard) just the transfer gears (easy)

your .91 xfer gears can be replaced with the 1.06s which are super common; if you want more you will have to scavenge a 1.22 set from an EARLY non-2.2 Lbody (rare)

easy to do, just need a gear puller (harmonic balancer puller may work)

I'll buy your 0.91s off ya :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you don't need to change the ring & pinion (hard) just the transfer gears (easy)

your .91 xfer gears can be replaced with the 1.06s which are super common; if you want more you will have to scavenge a 1.22 set from an EARLY non-2.2 Lbody (rare)

easy to do, just need a gear puller (harmonic balancer puller may work)

I'll buy your 0.91s off ya :)

Sure it'll be a month or so, Just getting my ducks in a row.BTW can I pull them while still in the trans is still in the car? I'm going to put quad cabs on it first, When it gets warmer I'll get on the trans.

·
Premium Member
9,110 Posts
yup, can b e done w/ trans in car

remove drivers side wheel; the the xfer gear cover is right there - its the sheet metal cover which your tire rubs on at full lock :)

hard part is taking the big nuts off and pulling the gears

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
also when putting them back on make sure you use lots of force(like a very good impact) and red loctite, because the will come off and make a mess of the cover

1 - 7 of 7 Posts