Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For improving it? Nothing too racy, just better for daily driving use.

I know a fluid cooler and an inline filter is towards the top of the list, and of course a full fluid flush and band adjustment, all that will hopefully happen next month or so. But what else is easy to do? Id rather not have to tear into the trans at all, though I know that would be necessary with a shift kit.

I want to prolong the life of the trans, but also make it more efficient. Firmer quicker shifts would be nice. Its only got 80,000 miles on it so its still in pretty good shape, gives me something good to start with.

I tried adjusting the kickdown cable and the band on the outside of the trans, nothing really seems too different. One of my problems now is that you kinda have to get into the throttle hard for it to downshift. I would rather not have to get into it so hard for it to downshift. What adjustment brings that down?

Also, where can I get a decent cooler and such? How big of one should I get? Also how much fluid would I go through to get all the old stuff flushed out?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Not that much you can do other than the stuff you already mentioned if you don't want to tear it down. even changing the main internal filter requires you to drop the pan.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have no problem dropping the pan, it looks like cake on this car compared to some of the others ive done. I just dont really wanna tear into the valve body and such things. I would be the one to lose all the tiny parts and stuff and end up with a non-going car...

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Dropping the pan now gives you the ability to get the main filter changed and play with line pressure. If you remove the valve body, then you can also adjust the reverse band (no real gain), change the main filter (a good idea) and bypass the accumulator (tighter 2nd gear shifts).

I would suggest based on you previous comments, just add a trans cooler (aftremarket or from minivan) and an external filter.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You may be able to solve your slow downshift problem by adjusting the kickdown cable to the trans. Where the cable housing attaches to it's bracket on the trans, there's an adjustment mechanism. You can compensate for the cable stretch that has happened over the years. Bill

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already adjusted the cable, by my haynes manual. Pop out the clip thing, pull the lever over as far as it will go, and put the clip back in. Didnt really do much of anything. I guess Ill try to play with that a little.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts