Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided to keep the aries through winter so im going to put a 5spd in it for alittle more power than that 3spd auto... i was wondering if i can retain my AUTOMATIC axles with the 5spd trans? i have everything for the swap exept for the trans and theres a 5spd aries at the junkyard with a complete trans/axle setup. if the axles arnt the same can i just take apart the cv joint and use the part that slides into the transmission from the 5spd one and use it with my current cv setup?

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
howbout pedals? could i use a shadow or daytona clutch pedal configuration (that is if the pedals are gone in the K-car)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You will need to weld in the bracket into your k-frame for the bobble strut.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I had the exhaust shop weld the bracket on when they redid the exhaust on my car. Yes the pedals from a Daytona or Lebaron will fit in the aries or reliant, I've done it before. Your current axles will not work as mentioned above, so you will need a set of 87 or newer axles. I'm not sure about changing just the cup, but it should be possible if both axles are from the same manufacturer. Remember Chrysler had 3 different companies making axles for them. You will also have to modify the 3 wire plug that goes to the transmission on the auto. Just cut the brown wire out and ground it on the transmission with a crimp on eyelet. Otherwise the starting relay will not be able to ground and the car will not crank over. The other two wires go to the back up light sensor, two spade connectors work good for those, or the factory plug can be spliced in.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
don't forget the bracket on the driver side strut tower that holds the clutch cable. it bolts in...on my 86 k wagon, the holes are covered by a little black plastic pop out cover....very slick!

use the axles from the donor trans. if it is 87+, then it will have the different right side axle to work with the upgraded diff (all 87+ auto and 5spd). i'd personally look for a equal length axle setup with the intermediate shaft from a turbo car. should only need to tap a couple of (already drilled) holes on the back of the block to mount the support bracket for the end of intermediate shaft. have fun!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Those holes were already tapped on my 86 T&C wagon with the 2.5L. They were a little rusty though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts