Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have more information about this gearbox, been thinking it as replacement for my A555 (Daytona t2 -89).
Found some old tread but by that wasnt able to confirm much.

How direct fit it would/could be, has anyone made this swap?
By looking picks it seems that it could be fitted pretty easyly, needs differend cluch (spline), rear hanger is also differend, but looks like it could be direct fit to engine, cant confirm this yet but gonna next weekend to get one for test assembly.
But basically it could be pretty much samekind of operation as fitting 568? If understood right they are relatives?

How strong this gearbox is, used atleast behind diesel voyager up to 2000 here (europe) so would think it could handle some torque.

Went today at junkyard and looked under the hood of 2.4 gasoline automatic voyager, there starter was in front of engine-so that would not fit.

But now comes intresting part, have been contact with one dude who is selling (to parts) -96 2.4 gasoline voyager with manual, asked pic and some info from gearbox (before I went to junkyard) and he send me pic of tag where clearly is this A598 and said that starter in in back of engine. Possibly fit here too.
-Can also be that seller has made some error ofcourse, but should know if selling diesel or gasoline

So, if those 2.4 liter manuals here really are all equipped with that A598 -I need to confirm that first, like possible setbacks in fitting- Here would be plenty of those and if it could handle that slighly modded 2.2 t2.. -can I allready open a beer?

Does anyone have some more info, thanks.

I add pic from tag this 2.4 manual voyager gasoline dude sent to me to show tag.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
A-598 was never sold on this side of the pond, so you are kind of on your own. I've heard they fit, but cannot confirm. Three of the 4 belhousing holes are the same between the 2.2/2.5 and 2.4. The lower front one is different. But did that difference translate to Euro spec engines?? I really don't know...

From what I've read, the 598 is from the same trans family as the 523/568, so that means you will need the shifter and cables to match the transmission. Your 555 shifter & cables will not work. On your 555, reverse is to the left of 1st gear. On the 523/568/598, it is below 5th...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Here is also mentioned 2.4 gasoline version.

Hangers are differend and becourse of differend sift cable assembly also sifter etc. needs to be changed. But looks like it could be done, I will continue research and let you know what I can find out, and like said all info is welcome.
Wondering if driveaxle spline would be same?

ftp://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Service Manuals/1997_GS_Town&Country_Caravan_Voyager/EGS_21A.PDF
The trans mount should work with a small modifcation. The axles should also work. The 555 & 568 use the same spline on the diff. I have to assume the 598 does as well.

It's definitely possible. I converted my 89 Daytona from auto to 5-speed, and I used a 1990 A-523, instead of the A-520 it should have had. The shifter bolted to the floor the same way, I just had to drill the holes for the cables to go through the floorpan. I absolutely LOVE my A-523. The car instantly went from 24 mpg to 30+ mpg. Plus it is way more fun to drive than the auto...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is quick compare between -88 A555 and A598 from 2.5 diesel, according to tag made in 2000.

Clutch forks are little differend in lenght, longer in diesel ( longer movement, easyer to press) but looks like thay can be changed if needed.
Bellhousing seems same, took few measurements and they matched, few more holes in A598 thought.

Cable system is totally differend, I was even little time happy when noticed that rearhanger would fit directly before noticed that cable hanger comes under same boltpattern and would not fit with shockabsorber type hanger, at driver side hanger there is 4bolts in A598 and 3 in A555 but looks like that original hanger coult fit, didnt had any at hand to test.
With that cable assemby in A598 it could come little tight with turbo, but if so then needs to do some cutting, hard to say before tested assembly.

Didnt got clutchpalte or assembly with that A598, and while looked measurements from sellerpages it seems that diesel clutchplate is too big for original assembly, (240mm) can anyone tell would diesel assembly fit to our flywell? That needs to get figured out.

In picks there is A598 in left.

Other than that looks even better than I hoped, sorry about my english, I hope you could follow. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to tag gear ratio would be 388 in A598 compared to 385 in A555.

"A598 seems to have bigger intermediate shaft bearing casing too." Yes, so it looks like.

Also speed sensor is differend, 3 wires in A598 but they might be possible to swap, atleast it looks that way, havent tryed that yet.

Driverside mount is almoust direct fit, little needs to be grinded from edge, but bolts are in line. (pic1)

Also by eye looks like heighth stays same too, infact in many ways casting is surprisingly same.
like those casted forks in FD housing to assembly A555 style clucth cable support are there, but not machined.

Also drive axels seems to fit nicely, what is still question is clutch, would need 17spline plate but small enougf to fit in our assembly.Or get diesel assembly to our flyweel, I dont have them so cant really say could there be match.
How about 2.4 gasoline plate, what spline and diameter are they?

Atleast in diesel seems that plate is 240mm and that would be too big to our assembly.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,700 Posts
^ previous thread on this subject with links to more discussion over on turbo mopar
gear ratios are found in one of the t-m links

the 598 and 588 are euro transmissions only

if you look at the bellhousing flange the bolt pattern for the 2.2 is there as is the one for a 2.4 .. BUT I don't know if that's the 2.4 neon style motor or the euro oil buener

you should be able to note a couple of extra holes in the lower front corner - say 4-6 o'clock .. as compared to the 555 beside it

for a clutch disc go to turbosunleashed.com and see what they have
you CAN get a "big" spline , 17 spline clutch disc to fit easy .. the iroc 16 valve 2.2's got the big spline in the trans too

you may need a shifter cable to trans mount bracket for a 568 daytona .. the truck bracket and cables could be different

for all discussions of fitment just consider that 598 to be a 568
the only reall differences are going to be in the guts of the transmission - not the case

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
!!!
I hate google chrome

sorry you'll have to copy n paste for the link
Sorry wasnt able to follow that link.

Anyway gear ratio cant be totally too tight, took few pick from 2.4 -96 gasoline voyager with manual and there was also this A598.
So I think gear ratios would be suitable for 2.2 also.

This also confirms that we have those gearboxes plenty here (plenty in our scale, LOL..) 5milj ppl in whole country. :D

Those diesels are getting rare here too, but many of those 2.4 gasoline manuals are still in duty and if this A598 is used there too up to 2000/2001 as in behind diesel they should be pretty easy to find.

I will check that clutch from TU, little scared about shipping and taxes thought..

Here are few picks from that 2.4 gasoline with manual. (same car that I spoke in first post.)

Does anyone know what internal differences there are between 568 and 598, is 598 weaker or stronger?

Found:
Here are gear ratios of 598:
1st- 3.36
2nd-1.90
3rd-1.28
4th-0.92
5th-0.71
Rev-3.17
Thanks to all so far, I let you know how this goes. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Little update,
In weekend took gearbox away from that 2.4 man voyager, it is A-598 with dual-mass flyweel, so then it is confirmed that also gasoline voyagers had this A-598.

That dual-mass system is one unit and between it and cranksaft is same lookin drawplate? as in automatic trans. by eye looked also that boltpattern in this drawplate is pretty much similar than in our earlyer flyweels, so could be possible to switch whole system if wanted?
-Cant say that for sure yet, needs to measure or compare parts first but if possibly I could try that way in this test assembly, atleast then we know.

Pressureplate is rivetet? to assembly and if wanted to take a part needs drilled or grinded to get clutchplate away. (legendary last words, "How strong those dual-mass springs in so small space could be?")
Pressureplate itself then looks much similar than ours, by eye assembly holes seemed to match, so could be possible to use that too after it is grinded away from assembly?

I try tomorrow to get some picks. Have a nice day there. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here are few picks to compare ours clutch/flywheel to one from that 2.4 man with dual-mass system.

1. pic Clutch assembly and flywheel from 2.2 up and ones from 2.4 lower (dual-mass system)

2.pic Flywheel and drawplate? compare, flywheel lower, also center and bolt holes seemed to match.

3.pic comapre between driveshaft,those from 2.4 up, seems like speedometer pinion is smaller, also in newones have this lockring.

Attachments

·
Registered
782 Posts
That looks a lot like the 95+ modular clutch setup. In the U.S. this clutch was found in neons and some 95 vans. This setup uses the same flexplate(you call it drawplate) that the auto does. The entire clutch assembly including the flywheel are a sealed unit that bolts to the flexplate(drawplate) the same way a torque converter does with an automatic. If you want this setup look for neon clutches. I think the 90-94 a523/a568 setup would be best for you but if you can find those modular setups cheaper then go for it.

To me it looks like you just need a 523/568 shifter, cables, and cable brackets. You might be able to use the old clutch cable if you swap the release arms. Find those parts and you should be golden!

Would you be willing to ship one of those transmissions over here?

·
Super Moderator
11,700 Posts
I would suggest you just go with your original 2.2 flywheel and forget the 2.4 flywheel

first you know the 2.2 flywheel you already have is correctly balanced to be used in the 2.2
we don't know anything about the balance of the 2.4 flywheel

also some motors are internally balanced vs externally balanced

if you screw up on the flywheel balance the efforts to fix the car is wasted

like I said before TU can get you the correct large spline clutch disc to fit

I know the shipping weight is expensive so you should ask the guys at TU about using your original pressure plate - maybe a good idea , maybe a bad one , I don't know

I do know 89 was the first year for the organic , non asbestos clutch discs .. and they were not much good
they didn't have enough grip and the pressure plates didn't have enough squeeze to make them work

as for the speed sensor you need a gear on it that is the same as the one in the trans that came out of the car
the gear matches the tire diameter - different colour gears with different tooth counts fit different tire diameters

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks a lot like the 95+ modular clutch setup. In the U.S. this clutch was found in neons and some 95 vans. This setup uses the same flexplate(you call it drawplate) that the auto does. The entire clutch assembly including the flywheel are a sealed unit that bolts to the flexplate(drawplate) the same way a torque converter does with an automatic. If you want this setup look for neon clutches. I think the 90-94 a523/a568 setup would be best for you but if you can find those modular setups cheaper then go for it.
Here i assume this dual-mass setup is probably used up to 2000 (in 2.4 man gasoline voyagers gen III GS) -cant confirm that for sure but this one is from -96 gen III so, atleast up to that. If right in diesels was used normal clutch, might be becourse of torque, this duall-mass probably weaker?

While inspected that dual-mass clutch, there seems to be normal clutchplate in there, but like you said sealed unit, thats why was thinking of grinding those rivets away to get my hands to plate, just dont know how much tension there is and if this whole system then blows to my face while grinding, -there might be reason it is sealed?
Also possible that nothing happends or no tension in it, just dont know and not so willing to get that flywell or other parts from there to my head.

Flexplate must be right word, didnt know it and direct translation from finland would be drawplate, so made it up. :)

To me it looks like you just need a 523/568 shifter, cables, and cable brackets. You might be able to use the old clutch cable if you swap the release arms. Find those parts and you should be golden!
I allready have sifters, cables and brakets from that voyager, and others from behind diesel, only difference between them seemed to be install hight. I try send few picks in weekend to compare.

Would you be willing to ship one of those transmissions over here?
Even I probably could find some transmissions with resonable price from here I am little afraid how much shipping would do. If could find way to send them by ship it could be possible, but by airmail cocts would probably be too high.
I can try to find out costs and ways to minimize them.

Note also that those cars are driven a lot in here, atleast 200t miles and I should find car that is still drivibly to atleast little test transmission before sending.
If I buy only trans without change to test it and then it turns out to be trash after you have paid long penny from shipping no one will be happy. But like said I dont rule it out and try to help if I can.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would suggest you just go with your original 2.2 flywheel and forget the 2.4 flywheel

first you know the 2.2 flywheel you already have is correctly balanced to be used in the 2.2
we don't know anything about the balance of the 2.4 flywheel

also some motors are internally balanced vs externally balanced

if you screw up on the flywheel balance the efforts to fix the car is wasted
You are right there, good point, internal weights between 2.2 and 2.4 are probably differend, atleast needs to compare weights and still it would be little risky business.
Would think that they must be balaced separately or balance would be off when clutch is changed becourse new flyweel comes part of clutch.

like I said before TU can get you the correct large spline clutch disc to fit

I know the shipping weight is expensive so you should ask the guys at TU about using your original pressure plate - maybe a good idea , maybe a bad one , I don't know
Allready been in contact with Chris and order is inn, more or less now inspecting differend alternatives and sharing what I have found out and collecting opinions/notes from other forum members, like that yours about possible problems with balance if using 2.4 clutch system.
This first assembly is anyway more or less test to see how this could work, if all then goes well next stage is more serious with quality parts.

I do know 89 was the first year for the organic , non asbestos clutch discs .. and they were not much good
they didn't have enough grip and the pressure plates didn't have enough squeeze to make them work

as for the speed sensor you need a gear on it that is the same as the one in the trans that came out of the car
the gear matches the tire diameter - different colour gears with different tooth counts fit different tire diameters
Ok, so I thought, needs to test if gear assembly from 555 fits to this 598 (gonna use daytonas driveaxles) but it looked that it could fit. Other is also with 3 wires and orig. with 2 so this swap is needed also becourse of that.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Ok, so I thought, needs to test if gear assembly from 555 fits to this 598 (gonna use daytonas driveaxles) but it looked that it could fit. Other is also with 3 wires and orig. with 2 so this swap is needed also becourse of that.
Actually, a common upgrade is to install the three wire speed sensors in the older cars. The old two wire version is a reed switch that is prone to failure. The three wire is an actual hall effect sensor that has few issues.

I actually converted my 89 Daytona to the three wire sensor because I couldn't seem to get a good 2 wire version.

Complete instructions are here: Speed/Distance Sensor Upgrades - MiniMopar Resources

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, a common upgrade is to install the three wire speed sensors in the older cars. The old two wire version is a reed switch that is prone to failure. The three wire is an actual hall effect sensor that has few issues.

I actually converted my 89 Daytona to the three wire sensor because I couldn't seem to get a good 2 wire version.

Complete instructions are here: Speed/Distance Sensor Upgrades - MiniMopar Resources
Ah, thanks from that, seemed to be good idea. So with 3 wire we go.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is pic to compare those sticks/brakets between one from diesel (2000) and 2.4 gas -96

Basically they are same, in diesel stick is not straight but bended towards driver/back. (one with little more rust in pic.)
Basebraket is same but plate for console is little differend.

Also small difference in bellhouse casting between diesel (pic in previous posts) and A598 from behind gasoline, this difference dosent mean anything, just noticed that in this gbox is small hole in casting witch was remowed from 2000 version.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts