Turbo Dodge Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update again, today spended some quality time with that dual-mass clutch paggage.
Little disapointed, nothing there to blow to my face etc. after grinded rivets away just normal lookin clutch system.

Clutchplate is 240mm diam (ours 230mm) and assembly seems to fit to our flyweel, so as bonus I would get bigger clutchplate and atleast by eye also stronger pressureplate.
This 240mm clutchplate would too big to original assembly so good that one from dual-mass seems to fit, even with some marks from grinding it out.

Only guidepin holes are just a little too small, they need to be carefully drilled.

So, now I should have all parts for test assembly, clutchplate is worn but still usable.

Only problem now is that "someone" has teared that 2.4 voyager to parts on my lifter and next weekend will be work, so takes little time before test assembly gets really started and I get daytona to garage.

Pic1. Original clutch assembly (left) and one from dual-mass.

Pic2. Difference between clutchplates, orig. left

Pic3. Dual-mass clutch assembly tested to our flyweel. (guidepins not attached)

Pic4. Leftovers in lifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think you will find that the larger diameter clutches offered by TU are in fact 240mm.
Probably true, I also belive that diesel assembly could be same or nearly same as one I grinded from that duall-mass, atleast clutchplate in diesel seems to be 240mm and 17spline.
So clutchplate itself atleast should fit.

About assembly (pressureplate) cant confirm that 2.5TD vould fit, with that gearbox from diesel didnt come with clutch/assembly. Pretty expensive here buy new one, so would need to see one first to compare.
But I dont think they would of done differend assembly to diesel when diam. is anyway same.

In this week gonna clean garage and probably in weekend get GS (daytona) in and under work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Little update.

Again weekend at work so no big news in assembly.

But got 2.5 turbodiesel assembly and clutchplate (240mm), cheap aftermarket ones but new and now can confirm that also that seems to fit to our flywheel.
Infact as I suspected it seems to pretty much same as one I grinded off from that dual-mass flywheel.

Also here those guidepins are almoust but not quite fit, just a half of hair difference, few draws with chainsaw file and it should fit and still center assembly just fine.

Hoping that in next weekend could start test assembly.

Pic1. Assemblys in row, top original, left lower one grinded from dual-mass and right lower new 2.5 diesel assembly.

Pic2. Compare between dual-mass and diesel (with D)

Pic3. Guide pin difference in flywheel.

Pic4. Guide pin from side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
That is quite the find! when I first read the title I thought it was a typo and was supposed to read 568! lol
After reading through this thread, there is only 1 Q on my mind.

I wonder if the ACT NSRT-4 clutch set-ups would be a direct fit in this trans.............

·
Super Moderator
11,700 Posts
if it fits a big spline 568 then yeah
ths trans is no different case wise than a 568 except it probably has the extra bolt hole at the front of the bellhousing giving it a duel 2.2/2.FOUR pattern

my 588 has the extra hole too
otherwise it's just a big spline 568 to look at it ..'cept for the tag

so whatever made it fit before will work again

mine is drilled for the crank p-s and on the other thread (one of) on TM there was mention it may , MAY have one or two tappered bearings on the secondary shaft

I have not confirmed this either way - I don't really have much reason to take apart a new trans - at least not without one of Adam's billet end plates lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Dr.Johnny, Do you know what is differend between A568 and A598? if really any.
Biggest point to me here is that this 598 has been sold atleast up to 2000/2001 -so finding spare/parts should not be too difficult compared for examble to A-555, havet asked is any intern parts would be still available, but I think it could be possible.

Shadow, If clutchplate is 17 spline and assemby or whole flywheel fits to our crank/flywheel I belive it could fit. Dont see why not, but cant say how much this trans can take thought.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update again.
Today little progress.

Assembled 2.5 TD clutch&assembly to flywheel, no problems exept that little filing to get guide pins fit nicely.

Also gearbox went there just fine, tight to lift thought, and bolts lined to block, so far so good.

Most work was with rear hanger, had to cut and weld it but now seems that also it should fit ok.
It comes near turbo but with this stock one I didnt needed to cut much from there (just edge away) but with bigger turbo or TU:s header there probably will be more work.

Also changed rearhanger shock absorber type support to stiff one I made, there needed to change angle of rearhangers edge to get it lined nicely, also welded some support there. I think picks would tell more.

1. pic: beginning, took that big bushing away.

2. pic: twisting the edge to right angle.

3.pic. support for rod

4.pic Testing angle assembly before welding, also here can be seeing room between bracket and turbos compressor housing, not much spare with this light cutting there. Will need more work if bigger turbo. -and I need new return line from turbo I know. :)

5.pic modded bracket ready to install.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Assembly is finished and no new problems, all went nice and smootly.

Havet got to do field test yet but in garage while running engine without wheels all seemed to work, even that speedometer woke up again with that 3-wire conversion. -havent worked for a while.

Sifter is few cm longer and rubber boot dont seal to it nicely, but might even be in better place for hand and if starts to annoy can to shorten.
Also original clutch cable was direct fit.

At this point I think it can be said that this conversion is pretty easy to do, biggest job is with rear hanger/cable fitting and if bigger turbo even tighter to get nice fit.

Quick list from used parts:
A-598 from 2.4l manual voyager (same gearbox can be found also from 2.5 TD manual voyagers.) also sifter, cables and conversion parts for 3-wire speedo.

Rear hanger needed to modify and add pushrod in place of shockabsorber type hanger, side/front hanger from orig, just small grindind to sideone needed.

Clutch+assembly from 2.5l turbo diesel, just very light filing to guidepin holes, other than that direct fit to our flywheel.

Will do update after got change to road testing but so far so good,

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Been now driving few days with that A-598 and no complains yet.
Sticker is a bit longer and mayby will shorten that later, but works just fine for now, movement between gears on the other hand atleast feels shorter and feeling is better.

Dosent seem to like hard sifting but anyway that car is DD and nearly stock, so no need for them and winter is coming here anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I laid mobil super 3000 5W-40 to it, dunno if good choice but I had that in stock and didnt wanted to use hypoid oil as from it have heard warnings.
Could be bad choihe but atleast sifts nicely and no souds from box, time will tell.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Do you happen to know the part number of the clutch setup that you used? I see two possible choices in the Sachs catalog. There is 3000 951 248 and 3000 951 259. The 3000 951 248 looks like it is rated to about 190 lb. ft. of torque while the 3000 951 259 is rated for around 250 lb. ft. of torque.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Sorry, no real help,
The one i used in this test assembly was cheap aftermarket one, seems to hold what this almoust stock 2.2 can give but havent punished it yet hardly and here is winter so no tracktion anyway. If building seriously I would choose harder one, or hybrid from TU.
Personally I just checked that diam and spline would match.
Could of used also one from that double-mass flyweel (sachs and probably better quality but decided to put new one.)

This is one I used but for sure not best choice: https://www.autonvaraosat24.fi/blue-print/2878695
Atleast OEM codes can be found from there, if that could be any help.

Here are other choices it gives in that page, but prices get high real fast if any more quality parts, like Valeo/ Aisin/ LUK. -No Sach in there thought.
https://www.autonvaraosat24.fi/search?keyword=ada103002&maker_id=20&model_id=1456&car_id=5134

ADDED:
Searched with that 3000 951 259 and seems it might be too new (voyager IV from 2000 to 2008) , throuout bearing seems differend in pic, but could fit with "our" bearing if movement is long enougf ? Spline and diam seems to match, should see and compare to confirm.

https://www.autodoc.fi/sachs/787138?gadw=1&gadw=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIksW979n61wIVS2UZCh0fCwGFEAAYASAAEgLj_PD_BwE

Yes, this 3000 951 248 would be suitable/similar than I used according previous (autodoc) page, (CHRYSLER Voyager III (GS) 2.5 TD, Valmistusvuosi 01.1995 - 03.2001, )

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks for the info! It would be interesting to see if the following clutch worked in 91+ 17 spline transmissions:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sachs-3000951259-Clutch/dp/B00AU1ZI6K/

I'd try it if it weren't for the fact I already purchased a clutch.
I will keep my eyes open and if find wrenked that model TD voyager with manual I try to rob that assembly to compare.

In that pic assembly it self looks pretty similar, mayby main difference is throwout bearing (looks longer) couse hydraylic clutch?
Could be with stiffer springplate (better hold) than cable working, ofcourse, if so, also harder to push and cable stress would be bigger.

·
Super Moderator
11,700 Posts
send me a couple of Ondonti sponsorship decals , a set of Adams bronze fork slippers and one of his end plates and I'll get right at ripping mine apart ...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hi everyone,
Just quick update:
That A598 has now been there nearly 3 years and still going strong. I have had no need for repairs, that sifter is also still little long. :)
For examble last summer used Daytona to teach my oldest son for driving licence.
Inspector seemed little suprised when time for test drive came and we arrived with that old daytona. Anyway all went fine and licence were approved.

Have a nice summer everyone.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts